Selden In Mast Furler - New Problem

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Ok I am completely confused! The track guide for my mast furler is "stuck" at the bottom of the track. It will not go up so I cannot install my mainsail. I have never had this happen before and have never heard of it happening. I took my mainsail off for Irma and it stayed off for the hurricane and beyond. I got my sail and was going to put it on today but could not move the guide. It appears jammed or out of its track or fallen down further on the track or ???. Has this happened to anyone else? Any help or suggestions?

Attachments

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Yes. I have the same mast and virtually the same boat, 41AC. I don't know what it gets wedged on but I usually make sure I don't let the halyard down far enough for it to get jammed just as you will do in the future. Grab a small piece of wood, move the boom to one side with the wood long wise so that the end of wood is touching the aluminum, tap I said tap as in lightly, on the other end of the wood. Take the slack out of the halyard but don't put any actual tension on it. And remember not to let the halyard out more than necessary to remove the sail, which is inches higher than where it is now.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Yes. I have the same mast and virtually the same boat, 41AC. I don't know what it gets wedged on but I usually make sure I don't let the halyard down far enough for it to get jammed just as you will do in the future. Grab a small piece of wood, move the boom to one side with the wood long wise so that the end of wood is touching the aluminum, tap I said tap as in lightly, on the other end of the wood. Take the slack out of the halyard but don't put any actual tension on it. And remember not to let the halyard out more than necessary to remove the sail, which is inches higher than where it is now.
When you say "touches the aluminum" what do you mean? Do you mean under the track guide part that sticks out of the mast? And yes it will not be allowed to fall this far down in the future..LOL...if I can get it up again!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
When you say "touches the aluminum" what do you mean? Do you mean under the track guide part that sticks out of the mast?
Exactly. Under the aluminum track guide. It's actually there so the halyard end of the sail doesn't spin as it would ruin the furling action.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Gotcha! I will give it a try in the morning! Seems simple enough. Just did not want to damage anything in there.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have to confess that I didn't learn my lesson until I got it stuck for the second time. Silly me. You can also lay a piece of wood on the boom and then take a second piece of wood and pry up on it, again not too much pressure and no tension on the halyard.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
This can be alleviated by slowly rotating the grooved element while gently pushing up on the halyard head fitting. As you rotate, the head fitting will insert into the groove and voila! It is actually very simple but is very aggravating if one does not understand the design. Took me 5 years.

Last edited:

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
This can be alleviated by slowly rotating the grooved element while gently pushing up on the halyard head fitting. As you rotate, the head fitting will insert into the groove and voila! It is actually very simple but is very aggravating if one does not understand the design. Took me 5 years.
Rick could you give me more details on your method?

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
You are not alone. Have the same problem every year. I think the issue is the alignment of the two internal sections of the guide. What we do is put a "little" pressure on the halyard and manually rotate the ine internal tube by hand using the winch at the mast. You can almost feel it click when properly aligned. At that point we still have to use a piece of wood and a couple of "moderate taps" on the protruding black piece of the swivel to get the sail started on its way up. No problems once you get the swivel past this section.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Gotcha! I will give it a try in the morning! Seems simple enough. Just did not want to damage anything in there.
Uncle it worked!!! Thanks so much the mainsail is now back on and it is a sailboat again! I definitely learned a lesson on this one. I marked my halyard and will not go past that mark in the future. Thanks again! I love this forum!!!!