Seldén CX Furler for Asymmetrical Spinnaker

Jul 6, 2013
Hunter 336 Société Nautique de Genève
I currently have a GX25 for a 1,360 sq ft asymmetrical spinnaker on a 41 ft cruising sailboat. Getting on in years, I’m having trouble carrying the whole package (sail, furling drum, anti-torsion line, continuous furling line, tandem block, head swivel, adjustable tack swivel) fore and aft to rig and stow because of all the weight.

The sailmaker is suggesting using a CX45 instead. The idea would be to leave the furling drum, continuous furling line and tandem block rigged on the boat so only the sail, anti-torsion line and swivels would have to be carried fore and aft.

This makes sense to me, but I thought the CX was designed for straight luffed code 0s, with the anti-torsion line sewn into the luff. Would it work with a normal, curve-luffed asymmetrical spinnaker with an independent anti-torsion line?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Get in touch with Selden.
I have the system for a APC and bow sprit pole for my H-36 but hardly have used it because my wife is afraid of it and thinking I may need to sell the whole setup.
I did talk to a Selden guy who helped and he really did help.
Nick

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Attach the halyard to the sail and take some of the weight off that way. I requires two people to accomplish as one will take the weight up on the winch and the other will guide the sail across the deck as it is hoisted. I am assuming this is socked. This is how I do it at any rate. 125 Sq feet seems rather small. My Asym is 1200 Sq. Ft.

Jul 6, 2013
Good catch.. That was square meters. I’ve edited the post to reflect 1,360 square feet! Good idea, connecting the halyard to the head of the spinnaker before carrying it forward.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
This makes sense to me, but I thought the CX was designed for straight luffed code 0s, with the anti-torsion line sewn into the luff. Would it work with a normal, curve-luffed asymmetrical spinnaker with an independent anti-torsion line?
There is an adapter you can use to convert the CX so that the CX lower unit drum functions like a GX drum unit. It's called a free tack adapter.

Your GX15 is rated for up to 1255 sf of asymm. It's marginally too small to handle the 1360 sf of your sails, but that's what you've got. The most significant limitation, IMO, is that the cable is only 13 mm diameter,

The CX 15 will be too small for 1360 square feet of asymm; it's recommended for up to 860 sf. The CX25 is rated for up to 1240 sf. It uses the same 13mm cable as your GX15. In this case you can reuse the cable and headswivel. Add a free tack adaptor for the 13mm cable at the bottom and get a CX25 drum.

The CX45 is rfated for up to 2155 sf. My recommendation would be to switch to a CX45. It's never a good idea, in my opinion, to undersize the equipment if you want it to work under challenging conditions. Going to a CX45 would require changing to a 15 mm cable, the corresponding free tack adaptor plus a new head swivel.

The information is available from Selden at http://www.seldenmast.com/en/products/pdfview/__file_597-200-E-1-8.pdf.html . The part numbers can be a bit confusing, because there are several "kits" available that consists of several individual parts. Talk to your sailmaker, if they are selling it to you. They should know which parts to order. Or talk to an authorized distributor, or to Selden tach support.

Judy Blumhorst
Selden Authorized distributor

Jul 6, 2013
Hi Judy, In spite of proofreading my post numerous times, I had multiple errors. You’re absolutely right on all counts. The current set up is a GX25 with 15 mm AT cable, and the plan is to switch to a CX45. I will edit the posting. And thanks for explaining the free tack adaptor. That answers one of my biggest questions. Thanks! Dan