Seeking Opinion on This Installation

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Hi Maine,

I just had a new set of canvas made, and decided to put solar panels on top of the bimini. I ended up with a bare-bones simple installation, and I'd appreciate your take on it.
The panels are 51.5"x 21.5", 120 Watt, Vpmax= 20V, Ipmax = 6.0A. I paralleled them, and got nearly 25 Voc. The most current I've measured (so far, one day) is 9A in the mid afternoon. I'm using a Morningstar SS-20L-12V controller.
I used solar industry MC4 connectors, which are inexpensive, water-tight, and breeze to install. I used 10AWG 'solar" XPLE insulation wire.
Anyway, the mechanical attachment of the panels to the bimini is via the grommets in the panel, using Staput canvas-to-canvas fasteners. The loft reports good feedback from customers using this.
I am toying with the idea of installing some thin battens, longitudinally, along hte edges of the panels, because of the "droop."

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
From your second photo it looks like you installed the panels with a Bimini bow going down the middle. That can cause an early failure and I have even seen on small fire. Did you read the how to article that Mainesail wrote about this installation?

On the Staput there have been several that have failed due to UV damage down here in the Caribbean.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks. No, I haven't seen the article. Is it on this forum?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Was there room for the panels to be turned 90 degrees with one forward of the backstay; and, one aft?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I personally know nothing however a dockmate recently added flexible panels to his C36, he added metal battens on the bimini frame under the panels. In his words "They're flexible but if they are constantly flexing they'll fail early".

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks. Yes, I have seen that article, not sure it applies much to my setup. I don't think the panels would fit if turned 90º, because of the aft one. I may fit battens, as I mentioned.