Securing Swim Ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
The swim ladder on our new to us 311 is held in the up position by a ratty old sticky bungee cord. Before I get a new bungee I was wondering if there is a clip or a catch that is missing? Or is there a better way to hold the ladder in the up position?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My 2006 B323 had a velcro strap screwed to the transom with a plastic clip. It did the job, but died of UV exposure. You can probably find one on a number of models on the B spare parts site. Or just velcro-strap it to the stern rail.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Safety!
There are all sorts of clips available that will secure the swim-ladder while making it possible for someone to pull it down from the water... say after falling overboard.
I know that the swim platform is relatively accessible from the water but if you are getting on in age and a little overweight and fully clothed (because it's cold outside...) it will be handy to be able to pull the ladder down to help get you back on board (especially if the water is in the 50's)!
I even saw a boat with the flagstaff going through the top rung... impossible to lower the ladder without taking it out.
Pierre

Jan 18, 2010
Beneteau 311 Cayman Islands
My 311 came with a detached Velcro loop that ties off the top of the ladder to the top stern rail. Surely just the PO's quick fix, but it works fine. There is no factory-made securing part that I can see. To Caboteur's point, it can be yanked loose with enough force from the water, but if I were in colder waters, I'd look for a better quick release mechanism.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
Hi Water cayman:
You bought the 311 that was for sale in Coconut Grove? How is it working out for you, I finally got mine home after the broken crankshaft.

Thanks everyone for how you secure your swim ladders.

Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
Up here in the colder climates I know of people who (1) drag 50' - 100' of line behind the boat when sailing alone AND have the ladder on a bungie cord so that it is reachable from the water.

Jan 18, 2010
Beneteau 311 Cayman Islands
Hi Water cayman:
You bought the 311 that was for sale in Coconut Grove? How is it working out for you, I finally got mine home after the broken crankshaft.

Thanks everyone for how you secure your swim ladders.
Glad to hear you got your boat home safely. My delivery down to Cayman from Coconut Grove was nothing short of a disaster. Absolutely nothing wrong with the boat - it is solid - but the trip down had one problem after another, including a bump on the reef near Cuba. All fixed now, but a very costly few months!

Status
Not open for further replies.