Securing Bilge Cover

taboni

Jul 17, 2015
Catalina 27 Fair Haven, NJ
Any ideas aside from screwing it down? The bilge cover on my 1985 C27 has a larger hole at each end (maybe 1/4") and 3 smaller ones on each long side. It was not secured when I bought the boat and I would like an idea for some kind of quick access (don't really want to screw it down)..

Any thoughts?

taboni

Jul 17, 2015
Gravity? :)
That's the current solution, except the board is now a bit bowed and it has a tendency to fall out of the recess when its walked on or under excessive heel. I was thinking there must have been some kind of quarter turn screw in there originally at the ends?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ah, new information. That helps a lot. I have a little bow in my long bilge cover. We got the "rocking" out by taping some differing levels and thicknesses of masking tape underneath the board. Good luck.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Applying heat to the part will allow it to be massaged possibly enough to get the thing to lay flat. The premise of heating a glassed in bolt to about 225f will soften the epoxy enough to remove it. A similar principle could be used on a panel, and gently rolling it back and forth over a piece of pipe while pressing the ends might be enough to change the shape. Of course, you'd likely not get enough heat out of a hair dryer to do it, and you'd need to be careful with a heat gun, because the gelcoat is easy to discolour..... Heat it from the ugly side.

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
I have a 86 Cat 27 that had the same problem. There are 4 screws that hold down the bilge cover. Some were stripped out and were a pain to remove. I made and attached a wooden 'L' bracket under the aft side of the cover. On the fore side I got one of those quarter turn hatch locks with a T handle that folds down flush. They have an adjustable bracket underneath to engage the lip of the floor. This way the cover is held firmly in place by a simple twist of the cover lock and sliding it forward removes the bilge cover. I would attach a picture but I don't have one. I could take one today and reply if you wish.

taboni

Jul 17, 2015
Ah thats exactly what I was thinking about!!!...pic not necessary but would be a bonus if you could get one! Thanks so much Joe.

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
Interesting way to hold it, but the first picture suggests you might have it front to back, the hole looks a lot like the hole for the foot pin of the drop down table leg which on my boat is more to the front.

taboni

Jul 17, 2015
Interesting way to hold it, but the first picture suggests you might have it front to back, the hole looks a lot like the hole for the foot pin of the drop down table leg which on my boat is more to the front.
Hmmm not sure about that...the hole on my bilge cover for the table pin is on the port side about halfway back, not in the center of the board.

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
The small hole behind of the twist lock was always there. It was a finger hold to lift the cover after removing the screws. Table leg never comes close to the hole no matter what and has a plain bottom. My table comes down and rests half on the bilge cover and half on the floor.