Securing a dink from theft

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Most of the dinghies in that pic ARE tied with long painters. There's no current in there so they nudge up to the dock. But that's an excellent point that some may not realize. In some places,, we dropped a stern anchor then pulled in, got out and shoved the dink away then cleated. Bradenton Bch Fla being one that comes to mind

By the way- that dinghy dock is for the inflatables- hard dinks use the next pier over :)

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
Seriously good idea - it's what the Dutch do with their "city bikes". They ride the rustiest, trashed looking bikes with absolutely perfect gears and brakes. It's somewhat a matter of pride how bad your ride looks, and it's all to deter thieves.
I rode the ugliest bike for a year at college... rusty, beat up, just nasty looking. Never locked it. Sold it for a 6 pack at the end of the year. The mechanicals were in great shape, but the appearance was terrible.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When at a dock please don’t tie your dinghy so you take up half the dock side ways and no room left for other and don’t tie up to the ladder and you would not believe how many do that at a dock,as said use a long painter and be careful don’t get stuck under the dock when tied changes
Nick

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Heavy duty 30' long coated bike cable. I can run it thru the engine handle, thru the gas tank handle, thru the dock cleat or rail and back to the dink. I also have a matching padlock on the OB mounting screws. I bought a set of 4 matching locks; one for the OB, one for the dink cable, one for the companionway and one spare.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Was it stolen from your stern? Or at the dock?
Right off the stern of the dink while tied astern. We had taken the launch in for breakfast and when we came back, gonzo. It was not locked on in any way. Easy pickings. So I learned.

Oct 1, 2007
I rode the ugliest bike for a year at college... rusty, beat up, just nasty looking. Never locked it. Sold it for a 6 pack at the end of the year. The mechanicals were in great shape, but the appearance was terrible.
Sounds like my body after graduation :)

Oct 1, 2007
Most of the dinghies in that pic ARE tied with long painters. There's no current in there so they nudge up to the dock. But that's an excellent point that some may not realize. In some places,, we dropped a stern anchor then pulled in, got out and shoved the dink away then cleated. Bradenton Bch Fla being one that comes to mind

By the way- that dinghy dock is for the inflatables- hard dinks use the next pier over :)
Is that discrimination or generational profiling? I think it is. Most hard dinghies are used by older sailors. I'm not as agile as I once was. If you make me tie up with all the old guys I have trouble getting into my dink. I love those big soft inflatables to cushion my falls. Aaaarrgghh.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Right off the stern of the dink while tied astern. We had taken the launch in for breakfast and when we came back, gonzo. It was not locked on in any way. Easy pickings. So I learned.
WOW. I guess I need to start being more proactive about using the lock. :-(

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Is that discrimination or generational profiling? I think it is. Most hard dinghies are used by older sailors. I'm not as agile as I once was. If you make me tie up with all the old guys I have trouble getting into my dink. I love those big soft inflatables to cushion my falls. Aaaarrgghh.
:) nope, not profileing. Whe I was in Boot Key last there were over 400 boats either on moorings or at anchor. The different docks were just THERE.

This is the OTHER dinghy dock-out front
dinghies-2.jpg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have been throwing caution to the wind.... never lock dingy or motor up....traveling or at home base. Kiss to have an engine bar lock but lost is one winter. Sure would suck..... maybe i should start locking up again or just paint the thing orange.....

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
One of those GPS beacons that alerts your cell phone if it moves more than a few meters? Would give you some assurance in CONUS where cell reception is good... in other places maybe not so much.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Get a portable door alarm and rig it so that it will go off if the cord attaching it to your motor gets cut. You may not hear the alarm but the thief probably won't hang around to find out if you did.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is a clever idea. how about elaborating on the door alarm. How you power it in the dink. How it is connected to the motor. that sort of stuff with pictures.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Google 'hotel door alarm' for pictures, most are battery powered. The trip line can be as straight forward or elaborate as you wish with a bungee set to trigger it when the line is pulled or cut.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You can use one of the man overboard systems which sound a base-unit alarm when the transmitter gets a certain distance from the boat.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I think you guys are making this too complicated. These high tech approaches also rely a bit on stealth, which means they don’t trigger unless the trap is triggered. A substantial lock and cable have visual deterrent advantages. Lock and cable. Simple, inexpensive, reliable. Defeatable but so is everything else. The main idea is to deter the “crime of convenience”, and incentivize the deliberate theif to choose a more convenient target.

Oct 1, 2007
The idea is to discourage potential thieves from attempting tto steal your dinghy. That is different from identifying them as thieves during the theft.