Securing a dink from theft

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
RW. Give the lock a squirt of Corrosion Block. You’ll find the lock and internal tumblrs will love you shedding the water and grunge that magically grows on anything on a boat. I have a cheap master lock that I gave a dousing a year ago last spring. It had been on the boat for 3 months and showing signs of needing to be replaced. Cleaned up the spots of rust and salt deposits. It just finished a second season in working order. Key slides in and out like new.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I use wire with a loop secured to the outboard lock with the loop at the other end secured to the dock with a huge padlock. The idea is that there will be many other dinghys much easier to steal. A feature I have seen that I like is to paint the sink day glow orange.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
The Kryponite bike cable locks are available in long and very long lengths, I think I have a couple 8 footers and a 20 footer. They are made with a fine wire bundle that is very difficult to cut through with bolt cutters, but it is possible. Because they are wrapped with a thick PVC coating (or some type of plastic), I think it is much more friendly to not harm an inflatable or anything else.

FYI, I had a custom Pedi-Cab Trike that I hand built about 10 years ago... The thing was a super cool beast, a big hit when I'd ride up the boardwalk. Anyway, when doing some big work in my shop I had to roll it out in the driveway and I locked it up using a 20 ft Kryponite cable to my steel porch railing. It did get stolen, but I noticed on the cable that the very determined thief had made 6 attempts with bolt cutters to get through the cable at various spots. They also had a concrete driveway to use for leverage on the bolt cutters. Never been more furious in my life about having something stolen since it was a one-of-a kind custom that can't just simply be replaced. The kryptonite cable definitely slowed them down, but a determined thief will pretty much get what they want given enough time. I should have finished my work in the shop sooner and moved it back inside, having it locked up in the driveway for several weeks was just too enticing and gave the thief time to plan.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Remove all decals from motor and brush paint it with green house paint
Seriously good idea - it's what the Dutch do with their "city bikes". They ride the rustiest, trashed looking bikes with absolutely perfect gears and brakes. It's somewhat a matter of pride how bad your ride looks, and it's all to deter thieves.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Exactly what I have.
I can still steal your dink with that on... I can still start the OB and motor away, or I can still lift it with a few guys and put it in a truck bed. As soon as I get to my tools I can have that lock off in just a few minutes with a plasma torch or an angle grinder without harming the boat or the motor... Just say'n, that lock is supposed to keep some from stealing your outboard off the dink, it does nothing to stop them from taking the whole kit-n-caboodle. Also keep in mind, there is virtually nothing that stops a thief from getting what they want, these security devices just slow them down or deter them from having to make a real effort. Well, there are things that will stop them cold, but I won't mention those because we have rules in this forum, LOL.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
All of the above.

I've had conversations about this with harbormasters in Edgartown and BI. Here in the northeast I think the biggest risk is mostly in “destination“ harbors that have launch service, such as Block Island, Newport, and Edgartown (for examples). People take the launch to shore for dinner, drink too much and return to the dock after the launch stops running... or they have a long wait.... so they steal a dink and set it adrift rather than leaving it tied to their boat or returning it to the dock they “borrowed” it from. Usually the harbormaster finds them beached but occasionally they are lost to sea.

Oct 1, 2007
I can still steal your dink with that on... I can still start the OB and motor away, or I can still lift it with a few guys and put it in a truck bed. As soon as I get to my tools I can have that lock off in just a few minutes with a plasma torch or an angle grinder without harming the boat or the motor... Just say'n, that lock is supposed to keep some from stealing your outboard off the dink, it does nothing to stop them from taking the whole kit-n-caboodle. Also keep in mind, there is virtually nothing that stops a thief from getting what they want, these security devices just slow them down or deter them from having to make a real effort. Well, there are things that will stop them cold, but I won't mention those because we have rules in this forum, LOL.
All true but why go through all that trouble when you can steal the one next to mine which has no locks and the start key is left on the throttle, while my dink is locked to the dock? Get it?

Oct 1, 2007
All of the above.

I've had conversations about this with harbormasters in Edgartown and BI. Here in the northeast I think the biggest risk is mostly in “destination“ harbors that have launch service, such as Block Island, Newport, and Edgartown (for examples). People take the launch to shore for dinner, drink too much and return to the dock after the launch stops running... or they have a long wait.... so they steal a dink and set it adrift rather than leaving it tied to their boat or returning it to the dock they “borrowed” it from. Usually the harbormaster finds them beached but occasionally they are lost to sea.
I had an outboard stolen at BI many years ago. I also lock the dinghy at night when she is tied astern.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Don't forget to lube your locks often and what do you to keep your dinghy lights from going bad from getting
corrosion on contacts.
When in Marathon I saw a great idea using a Lucr solar blow up light as a stern light on a pvc pipe,I now have one and use it on my dink and thinking of putting red and green on one for bow of dink.
Nick

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
what are you all’s favorite way to lock your dink from theft at a dinghy dock or wherever you leave it when you go ashore. Stainless wire with loops on the ends with a lock?
I doubt you can stop a determined "dinghy thief" who is prepared to steal someone's dink from a dinghy dock. Perhaps the best strategy is to make yours a bit more difficult to make off with than one further down the row. Pull the engine up and secure it in that position to the transom using a strap or turn-buckle; remove the kill switch preventer, etc; then lock the boat to the dock with one of the devices mentioned above and remove the oars when you go ashore. That might deter anyone ashore even with bolt cutters and a generic kill switch preventer in his pocket unless yours is the only dink around. But then there's the guy and his buddy already in a dinghy and carrying cutters, cruising the docks for a new "tow-away" prize or ala post #32. See what I mean? Better to lower your insurance deductible.:cuss:

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I doubt you can stop a determined "dinghy thief" who is prepared to steal someone's dink from a dinghy dock. Perhaps the best strategy is to make yours a bit more difficult to make off with than one further down the row. Pull the engine up and secure it in that position to the transom using a strap or turn-buckle; remove the kill switch preventer, etc; then lock the boat to the dock with one of the devices mentioned above and remove the oars when you go ashore. That might deter anyone ashore even with bolt cutters and a generic kill switch preventer in his pocket unless yours is the only dink around. But then there's the guy and his buddy already in a dinghy and carrying cutters, cruising the docks for a new "tow-away" prize or ala post #32. See what I mean? Better to lower your insurance deductible.:cuss:
Good advice except for raising the motor. Ever try to dock with a bunch of dinghy's with their engines trying to poke your dinghy?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Good advice except for raising the motor. Ever try to dock with a bunch of dinghy's with their engines trying to poke your dinghy?
You could still do the partial lift. Many folks might not know about this, but you can raise the motor to where the prop only is barely in the water and lock it there. People do this to motor into very shallow water especially if a rocky bottom. It produces very inefficient propulsion. You cannot go fast and you barely have control of the steering with the prop so tilted (askew) and so close to the water's surface. Also, if you wanted to do the full lift and still be a good neighbor you could slide a boot over your prop to keep from "poking" deeply into your neighbor's hypalon tubes. (Make a neoprene one from an old wet suit?)

Then there's the whole issue of people tying their dinks as in the picture of post #33. The dinks should not be tied up close to the dock like that, as if they're in parking stalls. Each should be hanging at the end of a long painter, at least 8 ft long, so others can get to the dinghy tie up (bull rail) by pushing aside the ones already there.

Last edited: