Securing a dink from theft

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
what are you all’s favorite way to lock your dink from theft at a dinghy dock or wherever you leave it when you go ashore. Stainless wire with loops on the ends with a lock?

Nov 19, 2009
And do you run the wire through the transom eyelets for the davit straps

Nov 19, 2009
Chain it up.

THAT chain seems to have secured that boat for a LONG time. Funny!

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Usually thru the bow loop. I don't use chain because it is so heavy and a pain. If they use bolt cutters the chain or rope will be not problem for them. Just to keep honest people honest really!

Nov 19, 2009
About how long of a piece to you have and what diameter do you use

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I used a piece of 7x19 about 20 feet long and some double braid. Nicro pressed a loop in one end, stripped the core from the double braid ran the wire thru the outer part and nicro'ed a loop on that end.. Then lashed the cover to the nicro's each end. Ran that through handles, thru loop on motor and also had loops on oars which I ran the line thru- then locked it

Some one tried to cut the rope once- I'm guessing they got a really dull knife

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Is dinghy theft really an issue. Nearly no one where I sail locks up a dinghy.

Nov 19, 2009
Is dinghy theft really an issue. Nearly no one where I sail locks up a dinghy.
Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas is having an issue the last few years, and I have a brand new 9.9 electric start Tuhatsu that I would hate to see go missing

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
We usually don't lock our dinghy up but do carry long wire loop and lock for some place when needed,they make outboard locks.
Nick

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas is having an issue the last few years, and I have a brand new 9.9 electric start Tuhatsu that I would hate to see go missing
I see. Yes, I guess that if I sailed down to NYC I would lock up the dink, the motor, the boat when I left it.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
In places where I worry about the dink, I use a thick bike cable to a lock that goes through the motor clamps. This secures the motor to the dink, and the motor and the dink to that cable that I run, to what ever strong attachment I can find.

Metal cleats on a dock or the mother ship are the best thing to lock to... I pass the cable through the center of the cleat and then the cable back through itself and lock it to the motor clamps. You can get those thick rubber coated metal bike cables in a wide variety of lengths.

I started doing this in San Diego when I heard of dink thefts at marina docks of what should have been fairly secure marinas. Turns out the thieves had a small boat and would just enter the marinas from the water and find dinks just tied up... wooosh they were gone with a quick slice of a knife. Yeah, those guys were caught... but that isn't to say other jerks out there don't exist.

Now a bike cable is still not theft proof (as any cyclist will tell you) a cable cutter can make somewhat quick work of them... But the hassle, more than likely, causes the potential thief to look elsewhere.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i have a nice old stainless steel 7x19 forestay, modified by adding two big loops though which a huge casehardened lock will fit... and i through bolted then fiberglassed over two stain less eyebolts on the dinghy . (which i value highly since i built it myself...)

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
About how long of a piece to you have and what diameter do you use
RWS it is actually a long (10'x7/16") rubber coated bike lock with two loops in it. I like it because it coils nicely and stores in the dink. I have only used it when we were in the Bahamas. I do have the motor mount locked with a cable securing the gas tank as well that is always there. Watch what you buy for a motor mount lock. If it is carbon steel it will corrode pretty quickly and be impossible to remove.

Nov 19, 2009
I do need to figure out what to do with the 3 gallon fuel tank. I guess just run the cable through the handle

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
There was a story a few years back that some one would hop over a fence and use bolt cutters to steal dingy
in Key West.
Nick