Seawater in sink

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad Cavedo

On the P 42, has anyone figured out how to keep the seawater from coming into the forward head's sink when sailing on a port tack?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
One-way Water

Brad, on another boat, I put a non return valve in-line. Rick D.

B

bill walton

P.I. A. method

The check valve idea never occurred to me. Another P42 owner suggested that when the breeze picks up, we should close the through valves for both sinks. That's what we do but as you know, they're not the easiest to reach.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Close the seacock, Brad!

When underway, *ALL* seacocks should be kept closed except while in use.

E

Ed Schenck

Please excuse...

my ignorance as I'm new to this. I've had my "new" H37C out about six times. But why would you close the "seacocks" when underway? The one for the galley sink is not too bad but also the sea water engine cooling and toilet? These require pulling up floorboards. Everytime someone wants to use the head I'd have to leave the helm. Incidentally, on an H37C the forward sink has no seacock. I keep the sink stopper in place, stops the gurgling noise.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
hey ed!

No seacock for your forward sink? That's frightening. I'd get one put in ASAP. And no, I don't close the engine raw-water intake when sailing. I don't want to have to run down below to turn the engine on in a tight situation, and I certainly don't want to run the risk of forgetting to turn it on and running the engine dry.

D

dave fraser

Read your owners manual

If you read your owners manual, it clearly states that you should close all sink, A/C, and toilet intakes when underway at sea. Drains for sinks when heeled, are below the waterline. Thus if left open, seawater will flow into the the sink instead of out. Given an aggressive enough degree of heel, incoming seawater will overflow the sink and pour out onto the deck. A mess for sure. I own a P-42 and learned this lesson early on pounding into headseas enroute Block Island.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Inaccessible head seacock shoudn't be.

I've seen toilets overflow underway because the head intake seacock was left open. (Yes, I KNOW the dry/flush valve should prevent that, but dry/flush valves are highly failure prone) Since moving the thru-hull is a bit impractical, install a vented loop in the head intake between the pump and the bowl, and as a backup, install a shutoff valve in the line between the thru-hull and the pump that's accessible to the user...if your toilet is plumbed to go overboard at sea, install another one in the head discharge line unless the discharge seacock is accessible. And keep both closed while underway--in fact, it's better to keep 'em closed at all times--except when the head is in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.