SeaTalk1 Wiring?

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Hello!

I am all but convinced based on inferences from very sparse other online sources that the Seatalk 1 protocol allows for devices to be wired in parallel. Is this correct?

I am trying to wire up my Raymarine ST4000 (original black one, not the gray ST4000+), a Raymarine ST60+ TriData, and the Raymarine wireless SmartController. I have read that the ST4000 uses a pre-SeaTalk1 protocol but is still compatible with SeaTalk1, although you have to buy a SeaTalk1 cable, cut off the connector and crimp tab connectors on to use it. The SmartConnector has a wireless base station with a single SeaTalk1 cable and the Remote has a single SeaTalk1 cable to charge the internal battery. I bought a Raymarine Three-way splitter (D244), and plan to splice the ST4000 to the SmartController base station in parallel, then connect that cable, the smart connector charge cable, and the ST60 output cable to the D244 three-way splitter.

Am I crazy? Will this work?

Thanks!

ST4000:
CRW_0008.jpg

images.jpeg

ST60+
ST60PLUS-TRIDATA.jpg

Raymarine-ST60-Speed-Instrument-Display-_57.jpg

SmartController
50456255_934.jpg

D244
image_2015-12-22--1.jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My guess is that it will work. But, sine you have all the pieces, why not try it out on the bench, before installing everything? I recommend using the lengths of cable you anticipate having in the boat when you do this. You'll need a power source, of course.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
SeaTalk (1, 2, and NG) are serial data buses not parallel. Daisy chain them together. Quite frankly I don't think you can even connect them in parallel but with splicing just about anything is possible. To be clear each control head will connect to its sensor (separate circuit for each control head) and at the most two other control headsvia the SeaTalk buss. Red is +12, yellow is data, and black is ground

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
SeaTalk (1, 2, and NG) are serial data buses not parallel. Daisy chain them together. Quite frankly I don't think you can even connect them in parallel but with splicing just about anything is possible. To be clear each control head will connect to its sensor (separate circuit for each control head) and at the most two other control headsvia the SeaTalk buss. Red is +12, yellow is data, and black is ground
Thank you for the details. One reason I added the photos is to note that the ST4000 does not have the usual input and output SeaTalk1 connectors, it only has an input connection but you have to cut the wires to fasten tab terminal connectors. I imagine that impacts your response?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Not correct. Seatalk 1 is a bus, meaning multiple talkers and multiple listeners on the same wires. So, 'parallel,' as you put it. The connectors and devices make appear to be and in/out kind of thing, but they are really, usually, just on the same bus. Here's a good article:
http://boatprojects.blogspot.com/2012/12/beginners-guide-to-raymarines-seatalk.html

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Not correct. Seatalk 1 is a bus, meaning multiple talkers and multiple listeners on the same wires. So, 'parallel,' as you put it. The connectors and devices make appear to be and in/out kind of thing, but they are really, usually, just on the same bus. Here's a good article:
http://boatprojects.blogspot.com/2012/12/beginners-guide-to-raymarines-seatalk.html
Yes! Thank you, your reply and that link answers my question perfectly. Wow, I am surprised that they just left message packet collision prevention up to different idle timeouts. But I suppose a lost packet here and there is not catastrophic if statistically rare since these instruments do not operate at high message rates and a subsequent successful packet corrects any lots packets.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.... But I suppose a lost packet here and there is not catastrophic if statistically rare since these instruments do not operate at high message rates and a subsequent successful packet corrects any lots packets.
My autopilot talked when it was not supposed to and knocked out the wind and speed- and maybe the chart plotter? Don't recall exactly.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
My autopilot talked when it was not supposed to and knocked out the wind and speed- and maybe the chart plotter? Don't recall exactly.
What were the symptoms? And how did you figure out that that was the problem?

Jun 6, 2006
The 4000 unit has a seatalk set of terminals that are labeled red, yellow and black so there is nothing different than the other seatalk (except the plug configuration, round, crescent, bare terminals.....) Data collisions are not a problem on ANY SeaTalk buss. each device has a random "retry" interval with more important (AP, GPS) having shorter times than less important (voltmeter, tank water level) devices. Since there are like 50-60 messages a second possible and you only have 6-10 max devices you are not really stressing the buss till you get to 15 to 20 devices..... not a common problem.

Jun 6, 2006
patrickkid,
While I would not disagree with you that the seatalk buss can be wired parallel I'm not thinking that is convenient. you have two sets of terminals on each device so daisy chaining (serial) is just easier ( and that is the way the cables from Ray are designed to be used).

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
patrickkid,
While I would not disagree with you that the seatalk buss can be wired parallel I'm not thinking that is convenient. you have two sets of terminals on each device so daisy chaining (serial) is just easier ( and that is the way the cables from Ray are designed to be used).
Except the ST4000 (photo added) which only has one terminal, leading to the purpose of this post.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
What were the symptoms? And how did you figure out that that was the problem?
A lot of head scratching. Swapped cables, finally saw the front of the display as I pulled the AP ST cable out. The other inst came to life. New AP, all worked okay.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The Seatalk 1 buss is parallel. The Dailey chain cables are just a convience to interconnect the instrument heads. The D244 adapter is really to easily connect the flat 3-pin connectors. I have one myself for my wireless remote.