Seat cushions in Saloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
I need some guidance on cleaning the cushions in the boat. They are just slightly dirty due to the use of the boat, wet swim suits, suntan lotion, etc., they are only 7 years old. They are the Beneteau dark blue with the gold dots. I was told NOT TO TAKE THEM OFF THE FOAM! But I dont want to wet the foam cushion material as it could be a royal ***** to dry. Any suggestions. We are doing a general spiff-up on the boat this spring and really want to get the interior cushions clean. Any suggestions will be appreaciated.

Weasel

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would take a look at one of the Bissell cleaners (Little Green Machine). You can probably return it to the store if it does not work up to your expectations.

Also there are those trucks that come to your home that do carpets & upolstery.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I've cleaned the covers of the saloon seat cushions on the Bavaria maybe 4 times in the last 7 years. I take the cushions home a few at a time; remove the covers (unzip), put them in a cold (machine) wash w/detergent. After spin dry, let them air out for a while and then put them back on the cushions while THEY ARE STILL DAMP. I then leave them laying about until dry, take them back to the boat, and come back with another few. Of course, you could do them all at once if you wished. Works great; no problems so far.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Seat cushions in Salon

I have the same Beneteau seat covers...
On our Bahama trip we went through a hefty roller with the forward hatches just slightly open!!!
When you take the covers off be very careful not to rip or take off the protective cellophane type protection on the cushions. This is what kept the foam dry even after the salt-water shower they took. Since we were still five months from home, we took all the covers off and went to the laundromat. We put them back on and they were clean and dry.
When we got back home five months of live-aboard later, we took them off again and washed and dried them again... they came out perfect.
With the "cellophane" protection on the cushions it is easy to slip the covers back on.
I'm not the only clumsy one out there; boat cushion covers must be washable!!!
Good luck
Pierre (& Suzanne who did the washing)

May 20, 2004
C&C 26 Ghost Lake, Alberta
The "cellophane" protection on your cushions is, I suspect, the industry method of easily inserting foam cushions into their covers.
Most companies that make lots of cushions with covers, wrap their foam with this plastic and then suck out the air in the foam with a special board with holes in it. This allows the cover to slip over easily and when the air is let back in, presto - the cover fills up nicely.
It also allows the cover to be slide around so as to get a good fit with the foam cushion.
Trying to put covers back on without plastic on the foam is a lot harder. If your's don't have it, consider wrapping with Saran wrap or similar.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I second the Bissel method...

... though mine is Hoover. Same idea. Yes, they get wet, but not so deeply that they don't dry in a day.

Fast, no taking cushion home and removing the foam. Useful in the car or at home. Seems like a smart thing to have, all around.

You can use the "special" cleaner, or save and use HE laundry detergent; it's just cloth, right? Same with carpets.

Status
Not open for further replies.