Seat belts, motorcycle helmets... now PFDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed

Tony, no they don't!

I still remember the survival training I was given in the Navy. They showed us how to make flotation devices from the clothes we wore. Why would they teach us that if we were required to wear a PFD at all times? Because, the only time we were REQUIRED to wear pfds was during Genreral Quarters. I didn't even have to wear one as a crewmember of the 26' launch or Captain's Gig. Heck, we had to climb up and down the lines from a mooring boom onto the boats. Wearing PFDs would have made a difficult task nearly impossible! Also, when playing war games with other Navy and CG vessels, I noticed their crews didn't wear them either. Perhaps we should refrain from trying to legislate "Common Sense". Wear one if you want, but let other adults make their own decissions, just like they do in the Navy. ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Carlyle, IL
Maybe the CG should propose that EVERYONE wear a P

including on ferries and cruise ships. I wonder how much political backlash there would be from the cruise lines if a sunbather on a cruise ship had to wear a PFD? Or if PFDs had to be worn while going back and forth from Staten Island?

E

Ed

Tom, it's not speed that kills. It's ....

distracted or over-confident operators and the sudden stop they didn't plan for that usually gets them. :^( Folks in Europe drive legally well over 100 MPH (I've done over 175 MPH on the autobahn), and they have fewer accidents and fatalities than we, based on miles driven. So why is it that they can drive faster and still do it more safely than we do? Answer: Training, training, training! They're required to get plenty of it - we hardly get any at all. The same is true for water safety. How much training is required for motorboaters before they're allowed to operate those high-powered boats or jetskis? None - being an adult and money are all that are required. :^( ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

C

Craig Pollack

Navy and Coast guard

As a veteran of the U.S. Navy I have to say that the ONLY time pfds were required were during General Quarters. I had posted a response to this article stating that the wearing of PFD's should be left up to the captain of the vessel and I stand by that. I have a 7 year old niece that sails aboard, and she is required by me to wear a pfd, I believe that is common sense. However I do not feel it necassary to be wearing a pfd myself or for any person over the age of 13 that can swim, especially on a clear day, in severe weather I will be the first to don a PFD, if there is a problem with my boat I will don a pfd, but when all the conditions are favorable I do not feel the need. I sail mostly in the Barnaget bay, and I know that it is in the bays and protected waters that this law will be enforced,because lets be honest, out at sea are the coast guard really going to stop a boat to bust them for not wearing a pfd, or concentrate on protecting our shores from a real threat. If this law were ever to pass it would fall upon the local municipalities, and then they would be handing out tickets to meet their summer quotas. Much like the seat belt laws, State troopers do not even waste their time pulling over seat belt offenders because they realized that in the time they wasted issuing that ticket, half a dozen speeders got away.

M

Mike H.

who is ultimately responsible??

*box I like the regs as they are. As a former member of the C.G., on the Great Lakes, it was difficult to see little children w/o lifejackets on........on anysize boat. I believe there should be an age such as 14 -16 yrs old no matter the size of vessel. But to force everybody isn't going to help much if there is no other way to enforce them. Aren't we just a tad bit overbudget with security in the country these days?!?! Let's hold owner/operators responsible and not add another law where common sense should come in to play. I know, sometimes there isn't much in the way of commom sense these days. I'll get off the box now. Less bureaucracy and more education at the purchasing level.

J

Jake Bruynzeel

My life is MY life !

I can certainly appreciate the statistics regarding people drowning. However, if one were to look world wide or even in the U.S. alone, one could come up with a gynormous statistic for stupid actions by people that have no business driving a car, much less a boat or even a bicycle. The point is: Why penilize the people who CAN take care of themselves because of those that don't. Thanx Jake

A

Allen

Hell no !

I cannot stand the way the government invades constantly upon the rights and priveledges of the people. The whole problem lies in the fact that there is too much money stolen from us by the government in the form of taxation to fund beauracratic intervention into our private lives. Fire them and let them get a real job making an income that produces a taxable income instead of mooching off of the workers and then telling us how to live. The people in government presume we need there "guidance" so we don't hurt ourselves when actually we are being enslaved incrementally everytime they make a new rule.It is my sovereign right to choose how I live and the risks I may take during that lifetime as long as I am not harming another person. Sure there is some good that has come from having the coast guard but enough is enough. Resist all forms of tyranny. aldbldr@hotmail.com

M

Matt Borders

Interesting thoughts on this subject

Most sailers can swim, Motorcyclists can't fly. There is a time and a place for everything. Sailing in 5 knots of wind and 90 degree temperatures would make wearing a PFD unbearable. Sailing in 35 knots of wind in a storm would make wearing a PFD a smart choice. What this all boils down to is a sailer's ability to make sound decisions. With a law requiring PFD use it takes a lot of freedom, and freedom of movement, away from the boat owner. This would not be a good law.

M

Mark shafer

pfd when single handed

In think pfds should be left up to individual. But when sail single handed I do wear a pfd, with a crew I don't. I think people should take responsibilty for themselfs, not legislature. US is slowly legislating our freedom away. Are people too stupid to make decisions themselves? I might go as far as to agree to require a safty class for at least one person on board or operator. after that its personal choice.

D

Darwin

Darwin at Best

We should be free to chose the level of safety we are comfortable with. It is Darwin at his best. Dumb boaters will not be on the waterways. I understand the Coast Guard's desire to reduce fatalities. However, it is time we took personal responsibility for our own safety. If we fail to use the tools at our disposal, it is our own fault.

A

Alan

Hell YES,, Allen. You hit the nail......

....squarely on the head. Laws should be passed to protect FREEDOM not restrict it. People make good and bad choices all the time. There should be no laws that say you can't make a bad choice for yourself. If it dosen't affect anyone else , what the hell business is it of the governments to butt(*butt) in!!!!!! However in this day, all kinds of people are willing to justify their existance by passing restrictive laws because someone is PAYING them to do it. Otherwise how could they scam your money(taxes) and get away with it?

R

Rick Webb

I'd Vote No But Here are Some Interesting Numbers

Just came home from a meeting at the Local Coast Guard Station and wanted to pass this info I just heard from the Station Commander. PWCs are 8% of the vessels out there. PWCs are involved in 35% of the accidents. Yet PWCers account for only 10% of the deaths. The Coast Guard studied and reviewed all these statistics and came to the conclusion that it is because all the PWCers wear PFDs. While I am an advocate for their use I do not routinely wear one. If anything starts to go awry or gets to be out of the ordinary we all put them on. Another interesting note is that for several years the numbers of fatalities on the water has been going down for all categories except for nontraditional boaters those being boaters who use boats for activities other than boating like hunters. The Coast Guard has a number of missions and lately the emphasis has shifted on many missions. There is much more of a likely hood of additional regulations coming from the states than from the Coast Guard.

B

Brian

Should look at all water fatalities

I read a report once on water drowning fatalities once. Boating was only a fraction of the percentage (something like 10%). Many more people drown while swimming from the shore then do from boating. Maybe they should have swimmers at the beach wear PFDs? Wish I could find the article again. On small boats, I would say have them or wear them. On larger boats, I think it should be up to captain.

B

Brian

or maybe....

The government will decide that in order to keep stubbed toes to a minimum that all boaters will be required to wear shoes at all times on boats too.

F

Fran

Accept the risks!

Making education mandatory is more important than making the use of PFDs mandatory. If I know the risk and chose to accept it, then who is to blame for my woes? Why is it we complain about an organization that is attempting to influence us or thinks they are acting in our best interest? I agree too many laws not enough education a smart sailor will get into far less trouble, but don't we all expect immediate help if something goes wrong? Isn't that wrong also? Why should we participate an a dangerous activity and expect help - whether it's sailing or hiking we have a sense of entitlement. I'm entitled to go out and get lost in the woods and the Park ranger HAS to come find me, so what if he's putting his life in danger!

Status
Not open for further replies.