Seamanship - Docking under sail

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I was checking out some videos for docking under sail and came across some interesting stuff I thought some of you might like to see.
Here is a pretty straight forward ASA docking into the wind video. Nothing fancy or unexpected, but a good place to start.

This one was very nicely done, but as one of the commenters pointed out, the big jump was unnecessary.

I watched several solo docking videos and they were pretty good, but not under sail power. I'm interested in a good video about docking solo under sail power.
An initial midship line should allow a solo sailor to dock and have time to get a bow or stern line on at leisure. Is it possible to get into a slip under sail or only when the wind is perfectly on the head and under 10 knots?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
That first video was interesting but only discussed wind forward. That is the "ideal" condition that seldom exist. I used to be able to dock a Sunfish in different wind conditions undersail, but not my Lancer, except directly into the wind.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I used to be able to dock a Sunfish in different wind conditions undersail, but not my Lancer, except directly into the wind.
That is the thing about small boats, you get really good at dock approaches in every kind of weather under sail.
20180228_172028.jpg

My first mate was preparing to jump to the dock in this picture, but she never prepared the bow line for me.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Is it possible to get into a slip under sail
Sure. There are only 3 wind directions when it comes to this: wind ahead, wind behind, wind abeam. Ahead you covered. Abeam is easy - use just the jib and either furl the jib or blow the sheet. Downwind's the trickiest, but jib alone could work, too. Many folks choose to use their mains, but I find that a LOT harder.
And most importantly, don't think of "into a slip" as always meaning your own personal slip: find a "place" to dock your boat where you can make a safe landing.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The key to docking under sail is to know how fast your boat slough off speed. For a downwind docking approach on a beam reach and then quickly turn, losing speed in the turn and making the turn close enough to the dock to not build up more speed.

Always good to have a plan b.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I sailed MC scows for a number of years, and coming into the docks was often less than directly into the wind. Because these boats are single handed, a painter was generally led aft. Because these boats were so light, turning up into the wind they would nearly stop, and all one had to do was walk forward to the dock with the line in hand and cleat it. As the boats came in at the end of a race, it would begin to look like they were angle parked at the dock. Those boats only weighed 450 pounds dry. I don’t think I would attempt it with a 12000 pound keelboat

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Sure. There are only 3 wind directions when it comes to this: wind ahead, wind behind, wind abeam. Ahead you covered. Abeam is easy - use just the jib and either furl the jib or blow the sheet. Downwind's the trickiest, but jib alone could work, too. Many folks choose to use their mains, but I find that a LOT harder.
And most importantly, don't think of "into a slip" as always meaning your own personal slip: find a "place" to dock your boat where you can make a safe landing.
Yeah, and one does not have to always assume a strong or brisk wind in these discussions. There are plenty circumstances where you can blow into a slip in light conditions, wind astern, and safely dock. In my opinion, if you need a sail up to enter a slip, the headsail is the better choice, especially if solo.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I don’t think I would attempt it with a 12000 pound keelboat
I've had to bring the Bavaria (15,600#) to dock a couple of times "under sail" with the wind astern, in one case moderate wind; but, I had me first mate aboard! It helps to have a clear approach to a long side-tie. I say "under sail" b/c the first thing you need to do is slow down by getting some sail down. As you approach the side-tie with wind astern, the stern line is what you should have ready to secure first. With boat fenders out, I have me mate put the boat physically against the dock fenders to further slow it as we come along side. (I could probably do this even if solo.) This allows me to get off safely and cleat the stern line. You can then tend the other lines.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Docking under sail isn't that much different from docking with the motor. Into the wind, use the wind as your reverse, abeam or from astern, as mentioned you need to have a clear understanding of how your boat bleeds speed and know when to douse sail.
Since we mostly do day sails, I always try to leave the dock with at least one spring line prepped for easy pickup by a boat hook. I prefer to use the jib but some prefer the main as the primary sail. Docking into a slip is (IMO) easier since you can use the slip to "hold the boat" while you finish making the dock lines fast.
My favorite story about having to dock under sail, a group of us (4 couples) had chartered a 40' boat for a leisurely daysail in San Francisco Bay. As we left ( about 10 minutes out) we lost the transmission linkage which meant we had no way to control forward and reverse. We called back to the club, they told us to bring the boat back and they would trade us for another boat. We knew we were going to have to dock at the fuel dock and we would need to do it under sail so, we found a buoy and practiced a few times prior to heading in (not a good showing, we had trouble stopping in the open water). As we got to the marina of course everyone from the club was down to help "fend off" so we wouldn't crash into the fuel dock, and of course they were all shouting instructions and directions. The wind was astern so, we headed down the fairway made a figure 8 turn to bleed speed and provide time to douse sails, headed back to the dock at a perfect pace, stopped 6 inches from the dock directly at the boarding steps. Less than 1 minute to make lines, everything was prepared, we paraded off the boat, across the dock to the new boat, and in 5 minutes we were gone. No drama, well prepared crew with each person having an assigned role and a perfectly executed maneuver. Fun to see everyone's reaction when a plan goes right.

Practice, practice, practice - do it with crew and alone, you'll soon find its not that hard and good to be able to show your skills.
Fair winds,

Victor

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Still impressive.:thumbup: But in the end, the skipper is making the landing into the wind, and into an end slip (i.e., not entering one from mid-fairway). Also, it may not be his first time.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@Will Gilmore you mentioned a mid-ship spring line. I did that once. It was not by choice! I had gotten some bad gas and crapped out my carburetor on the outboard. I was on approach to a finger pier at Tangier Island.

My daughter had a spring line at the bow and lassoed the port side pylon on approach then walked the spring line back to the cockpit and pulled us forward and I threw the helm over. Then I lassoed the starboard pylon and we finagled the two lines until the bow was close enough to the finger pier for my daughter to jump off with a bow line and she walked the boat forward.

How did it go you might wonder? Lets just say it took more than one attempt... there was some muffled cursing... and by the time we succeeded a small crowed had gathered.:oops:

When it was time to leave we reversed the process flawlessly, unfurled the jib and sailed right out... and not a soul was on the dock to see it.:confused:

upload_2018-4-26_10-49-44.png

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
if you cannot sail into the dock then you have less skill than a ten year old that just finished a two week course in a pram.

are you a skipper or just wearing the hat?

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
One thing that was pointed out about the video above, what you notice is the skipper taking several turns to judge the current conditions and how the boat responded. After 3 quick turns he knew exactly how to make the turn into the slip and was able to do so in a very controlled manner.
its the practice before hand and having a plan for how to approach that make all the difference.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Jackdaw posted this last June. Had to do some serious searching to find it. LOL
Yea that was a good one. It was blowing in the mid 20s, the wind direction had to be mostly on the bow to attempt that. And Victor is absolutely right, the circles he was making were to judge how the boat would slow when it turned into the wind. The trick was to turn up so the boat bled speed, running out when at the dock, but not so soon that you lose way. You get one chance at this, there is no real plan B.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
using sails or using the aux engine. docking is easy. it takes practice. go out and spend an afternoon docking with your crew 20 times.

spring line practice is not something to learn in a pinch. just saying.
getting your crew well practiced helps a lot.

so many newbees have never spent the day trying 25 different docks. with the regular crew.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Boat size is a big factor in learning the skill of sailing onto a dock. Small boats react quickly to control inputs. Sails are smaller. You can back wind a mainsail by holding the boom out on a 14ft Lido. Try to do that on my 35 ft CAL and the boom will sweep you off the boat.

It is all about managing the power of the wind, the momentum of the boat, knowledge of the boats characteristics and an open slip/dock. Just like landing a jet on a carrier. A controlled crash.

A Plan B, the willingness to go around and set up again when things look sketchy and finally commitment to your plan and the dock. Then Execute the maneuver.

@victorhoisington Love the use of a figure 8 to bleed off momentum. Bet the folks on the dock were amazed. Those are the folks who set up then crash their boat into the dock hoping that crew or others on the dock will grab them and hold them so they don't have to go out and try again.

Might I add, it always is good to add a little flair as you finish your cleat tie. Throw up your arms like a rodeo cowboy and give a little shout, for the folks up in the club/bar watching and hoping for a spectacular crash.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
I really wish I could remember how I previously managed to dock my first boat without a motor.

Back in the early eighties, I had a 17’ Windjammer that I would trailer to Charleston Harbor, sail for the afternoon then return to the Battery boat ramp to load it back onto the trailer. Whichever way the wind was blowing, I always made it back.

I don’t remember checking the wind forecast. (Back then they wouldn’t have been as available like they are now) I just went out and sailed, had a good time, and then came home. No motor of any kind on the boat. My naive backup plan was to carry a canoe paddle if the wind died while I was out.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Might I add, it always is good to add a little flair as you finish your cleat tie. Throw up your arms like a rodeo cowboy and give a little shout, for the folks up in the club/bar watching and hoping for a spectacular crash.
My old football coach had a philosophy that I've adopted - 'Act like it happens all the time'.

Make a big play - don't dance, taunt or spike the ball, just hand it to the ref and walk back to the huddle. Classy that way.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well there is always this.. and he does it with a Chartreuse colored shirt.

But I like your Coaches idea.