Sealing Teak Toe Rail

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Hi. I've got a 1981 O'day 22 with teak toe rails and I have several points where it screws down that are loose and have a noticeable gap between deck and rail where the screw is loose. I hope the screw, below the bung, is not stripped.
How do you recommend sealing the point where the screw inserts?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
In addition to MaineSails excellent tutorial, you might want to investigate a bit, exactly how the toe rail is attached. Is it just screwed into the deck fiberglass and/or core material with wood or sheet metal screws, or is it through-bolted? If the former, you may have to pull those bungs and re-fasten the toe rail. If they are all screwed, and into core material, you might be wise to make a project of pulling the toe rails up, entirely, filling the hole locations properly to prevent further water ingress (MaineSail has a tutorial on this, too), and then bedding and through-bolting, and bunging the screw holes. You can get a lot of good varnish work done on the rails when they are off! Big job, I know.

repawn

Jul 28, 2014
Oday 22 Milwaukee
Hi - As I have an 1973 O'Day 22 and have done this - first off - they are screws not bolts - the deck is solid fiberglass where they are screwed in - I took all the toerails off - then drilled out the holes - potted them with epoxy - then positioned the toe rails and re-drilled pilot holes for the screws. I was fairly certain the bed-it butyl tape wouldn't work with the screws (it did a great job of rebedding everything else on the boat though) so I used Boatlife Life-Calk. Hope that helps.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Interesting. Was it impossible to through-bolt them? Or just not considered, or not necessary?

repawn

Jul 28, 2014
Oday 22 Milwaukee
It would have been pretty difficult - the location along the edge of the boat and with the lining in the boat made it a little challenging to pot the holes with epoxy. I don't think there would be enough room to run a bolt through. The toe rails are solid as is and I haven't had any issues with leaking after the rebedding.