Seacocks - to close after sailing or not?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...if you don't use them, they will eventually seize up... You'll only discover this when you really need to close one.....
+1 to Scott. Just like the shut-offs under your sinks at home, you need to "exercise" them a couple times a year so they don't freeze up. When I open a valve, I don't turn it all the way out. I leave maybe a turn or two in case the valve has frozen. I can turn it both ways to try to break it loose.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I'm pretty good about closing the 3 seacocks on my H27,, except for the 1 1/2" galley sink seacock that is very difficult to get a hand on and is also difficult to turn. I do turn it off if I'm away for several days but otherwise leave it open. To lessen the chance of a break in the hose, I replaced the old sink drain hose with very rigid high quality sanitation hose. The hose is vertical and rises above the outside water level before it ties in with the sink drain. I secure the hose with two ABA hose clamps.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Hopefully we are all talking about ball valve type seacocks and not the old gate valves that Hunter originally installed on the Cherubini Hunters. I replaced all of those when I bought Dalliance ten years ago.

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Marlow-Hunter e33 Alexandria
I have two bilge pumps also, but there's not much of a bilge, so if they can't handle a leak, the sole would be under water pretty quickly. I guess I need to test those bilge pumps periodically with clear water. Good discussion about seacocks . It has made me think.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
My rule is that, when leaving the boat, I leave it as though I have no idea when or if I may ever return. That means everything pinned, closed, switched off, etc., for an indefinite period. You may promise yourself 'it's only for a few days', and then someone has some emergency that becomes a priority and next you know it's been three months and what began as a tiny dribble of a leak has become something much more that has overwhelmed the bilge pump which in turn has killed the battery and the whole boot stripe is underwater (or worse). Or some squall has caused the poor boat to drag its mooring and it's now sideways in some stranger's back yard. Or the mainsail you didn't cover is now in shreds all over the boom from the gale that blew through. Or... you get the idea.

The best idea is to have an 'away mode' in which you can safely leave the boat. Generally this includes (but is not limited to):
  • some provision for ventilation
  • deck tidied, poles secured
  • sails covers drawn and tied down; boom secured on center
  • tiller lashed on center
  • all gear stowed below
  • mooring lines adjusted (with chafing gear) and doubled if necessary
  • garbage taken out
  • fuel petcock shut off
  • all seacocks closed
  • electrical panel set to have only the bilge pump set on manual, the solar panels active, and the anchor light, if necessary, set on a timer or solar sensor

More importantly, having such a plan, you should follow it as a matter of course, letting no other considerations keep you from it.

NEVER trust in optimism. Optimism is for when you don't have a plan. Or, as I usually say, 'Prudent pessimism is the mark of a responsible yachtie (and private pilot).' :badbad:

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Very good idea to close all thru hulls when not at boat and by opening and closing will keep them working and not get stuck.
Nick

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
We have 9 Seacocks. Out of those 9, we leave 1 open (AC cooling water for Humidity control).
But...

We verify ALL by inspection!

You should inspect:
1) The valve for cracks and major corrosion.
2) Hose for cracks.
3) Clamp corrosion.
4) Proper operation. (we had one handle close but the ball remained open.)
5) Clean strainers (if equipped)
6) On all of our, we have a exterior mounted bronze strainers too.

Jim...

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
So i close all my seacocks. EXCEPT 2.

These are for scuppers in cockpit that go streight down to seacocks on the bottom of boat. I do excesise these a couple of times a season.
The problen is...to get to them i need to empty setties on both P&S and tbe go down in head first to reach the seacock. Wost place ever to put them.

Anyone else with similar issue? Or this unique to pearson 10m

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Anyone else with similar issue? Or this unique to pearson 10m
I have to go into the lazarette to exercise the port drain and open up the engine room from the quarterberth to get to the starboard one. Could be a Pearson thing!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I did close all the sea cocks once. Then I learned that an intelligent plumbing engineer took a short cut in the handling of storm water from the cockpit seat. Plumbed the cockpit seat drain into the sink drain line. So when I got back to the boat the sink had overflowed and there was an inch of water all over the counter... DUMB... Now on my project list... Replumb the cockpit seat drain to the cockpit scuppers so I can close all the thru hulls when not on the boat.
With a boat it is always something.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Guys,

We are heading to Disney Land for the week, should I leave all my doors and windows open while we are away?

Same essential question just asked differently...:biggrin:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
All sea cocks (90-deg ball values), including the one controlling water intake for the diesel, are off when we're off the boat except when "briefly" going ashore from an anchorage. The forward ones (sink & sump drains; head intake & discharge) are closed when underway, even ones that might have just been used at anchor or in the slip. The minimal number of those aft that are needed to service the galley sink and the aft head usually remain open when underway. The cockpit scuppers are not backed by sea cocks or ball values.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I was one of those that did not always close my 6 thru hulls all the time when leaving the boat and one thing that happened was they would get harder to use and one even stuck open and so hard to close that I was afraid to try closing and maybe break or damage it.
A few months ago at haul out I did lube them all and even had to replace 2 of them and now they all work easy to close and open and now do close them all most times and was thinking if I did leave them open and a clamp let go and could sink my boat.
Nick