sea water seacock water pump

blunt

Jul 27, 2015
1980 hunter 33 Corpus christi
well was down working on our motor today,(currently in a refit) went to change out the water pump hose and the seacock valve does not shut off.currently not feasible to move boat to the hard yet.anyone with a hunter 33 know the seacock measurements and I have been asking around the marina about changing out the valve with boat in water.we have a diver in the marina and a couple of other owners who have done this before.any help would be appreciated.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
What valve is on the thru-hull? Our Cherubini's came originally with 1/2" gate valves(bronze faucets). Some of us have installed a 3/4" thru-hull so that a true seacock could be installed. Before I got to that I put an elbow on the thru-hull with a bronze 1/4 turn shut-off.

Attachments

blunt

Jul 27, 2015
ed,i will be back down at the boat today and will try and get some pics of the valve.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It should not be hard to put a stopper in from outside the boat while you change the valve. If it is stuck in the open position, you might be able to cut the hose above the waterline, then stuff something down into the valve..

blunt

Jul 27, 2015
I have seen some youtube videos on replacing it.thanks ron

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
With an old, worn out through-hull you are likely to develop a leak in the fitting as you attempt to twist off the valve-body. If it is old, haul the boat and replace both valve and through-hull.

blunt

Jul 27, 2015
yes gunni its lookin like I will have to haul boat out.even though I am 15 mins from the boat I will still worry.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
While you have it apart, add a tee in place of the elbow (or some convenient arrangement). Add another shutoff valve with a fitting to take a garden hose. You can use that to help winterize the antifreeze, or to pump out if there is a flood. I also use mine to drain the 40-gallon water tank and run it through the engine prior to antifreeze.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
I use a T-valve also. It is used for the air-conditioner input. Originally I had it on the 1/2" thru-hull and now on the 3/4" seacock.
seacock1.jpg
Seacock3.jpg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Off the goal is to get hose replaced you can do it without plugging from outside or having the shutoff 100% closed. You will get wet and you will get between a quart and several gallons of water in the boat. Have some foam plugs around in case you run into problems. This isn't that different than removing your speed sensor and is a much smaller hole

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Problem is that most likely if like my H 36 the value unscrew
Off the thru hulls part and when you try to unscrew it the whole thing will turn.
I am doing this now but my boat is out of the water and removing all thru hulls to lub but had a he'll of a time with tool up into the thru hulls to keep from turning while unscrewing the value and yes they all were turning and still trying to remove one that is still stuck.
I did wait for the bottom job haul out to do it so beware if you try this in water because if you make them turn they will leak .
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
After looking at yours in photo I would not touch that thru hulls until out of water.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I have to agree with Seadaddler - replace that sea cock out of the water. By all means, change the hose now, but wait until haul out to change the sea cock and maybe the thru-hull.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That is a tapered plug seacock I think?.. The thumbscrew in the body (at the 45 deg in the picture) jambs a tapered plug into the tapered body. If ya tighten/loosen the jam screw a turn and tap the center post (gently and with backup) to free the plug, then it will turn. then to get it to seal again closed, ya tighten the jam screw again.. Re-open same way, loosen the jam, close plug, re-tighten the jam to seal.. Probably needs servicing next haul out.. Check this out from Maine Sail:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/tapered_cone_seacocks

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I will add some photo's again and as easy as I thought would be is not going easy and still trying to remove one
thru hull and when lubing the ones I removed found that one that was stuck open is not working properly and will need to replace 2 that both not working and even replacing the backing plates which are soggy and falling apart and so glad I waited to haul and taking much long than first thought.
I would try and haul as soon as possible and me I would not try repairing this thru hull of yours until out of the water because if some breaks or jams closed or any thing goes wrong than you are screwed.
I had a thru hull that when trying to open and close would be so hard to move the handles really scared me and just left open
so not to make it worse or do damage,I new I was going to haul for a new bottom paint this month so just waited.
I also have a Tri transducer that did not have the flapper to keep gallons of water from entering the boat and so never would remove it and than when my diver came even with his help could not remove and have ordered a new housing with flapper and doing the change while out of the water.
I have my boat in the yard for waxing Hull sand and paint and all these other projects and leaving it out for a few weeks

Attachments