Registered users don't see ads

Sea Scout Academy

Discussion in 'Destinations' started by Simon Sexton, Jan 21, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    508 posts, 224 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    Valiant US Watergate Marina, Kemah, TX
    Hey Everyone,

Good afternoon! All weekend, I've been at the Sea Base in Galveston for Sea Scout Academy. The program is designed to assist younger scouts in rank advancement, and older higher ranked scouts to earn certifications. Since I've already earned all my certs, I was selected to help teach a power boat handling course provided by Skipper Club. It was a great program; a local used boat dealer, Ron Hoover, even provided a couple basic center console boats for us to use during training. The kids cooperated, and learned very quickly; they were a great bunch.
    Overnight, Sea Scouts ages 18+ were assigned to sleep on the Base's 104 ft. research cruiser, Baysmart. All eighteen bunks were full, and night watches were required. As the boatswain of the vessel, I was in charge of making the schedule and assigning watches to different crew members. That was a blast...
    Three hours of sleep since Friday, and nonstop power boating and instructing over the weekend...someone is going to bed early tonight for sure. :)

HMT2, Ward H, Will Gilmore and 2 others like this.
  2. Boomer54

Boomer54

Joined Feb 3, 2015
    235 posts, 97 likes
    Marlow Hunter 37
    US Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
    Simon, congratulations. You are an impressive young man!

Simon Sexton likes this.
  3. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,574 posts, 511 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    Simon, congrats on so many things - a successful weekend of sharing your knowledge and having fun, helping others earn additional credentials, and exercising your leadership skills. I really enjoy reading your posts, as they provide me insights into your character, and thereby give me some hope for (and faith in) the youth of this country. I hope your parents are proud of you.

Will Gilmore and Simon Sexton like this.
  4. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    3,850 posts, 820 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY
    Good on yer, Simon. I wish I had those opportunities in my youth.

Simon Sexton likes this.
  5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    4,164 posts, 2,110 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    If they aren't, we sure are.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Simon Sexton likes this.
  6. JRacer

JRacer

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    863 posts, 302 likes
    Beneteau 310
    US Cheney KS (Wichita)
    Well done, Scout!

Simon Sexton likes this.

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.