Sea Lion grabs young girl

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
People feeding the Sea Lion, little girls sits on the edge, and then...

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
He obviously thought she was a fish.
He even came up prior and tried to smell her.
After he tasted her dress, he turned her loose.
Let's see... Small girl in a white dress with red splotches, or a bloody halibut?
They're mostly colorblind, but white with splotches probably looks tempting. ---especially next to a fishing boat.
image.jpeg

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Nice fish Skipper. Not a little girl.
He didn't know till he tried. He's got a brain the size of a chihuahua's. And he's conditioned to seeing food at that location.
Look closely at her dress. If I'm a sea lion, I'm thinking could be a halibut. I'll give it a shot. :)
Btw that's not my fish. I caught the picture on the Internet.

Feb 17, 2006
Looks like the Sea Lion is toying with the girl. I think it lets go of the child right as it pulls her in. Might be my eyes but I don't think the Sea Lion pulled her under.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
He didn't know till he tried. He's got a brain the size of a chihuahua's. And he's conditioned to seeing food at that location.
Look closely at her dress. If I'm a sea lion, I'm thinking could be a halibut. I'll give it a shot. :)
Btw that's not my fish. I caught the picture on the Internet.
Best damn fish in the ocean right there. Makes me hungry just looking at it.

What were we talking about again?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Here's an interesting aspect:
Time elapsed from when the sea lion first grabs her until both her and the rescuer are safely out of the water:
12 seconds.

That's what people mean when, during times of great stress, "Things happened so fast".

Feb 17, 2006
Skipper, how about this. From the time the Sea Lion grabs her to the time she hits the water? 6/10 of a second. And, time from when she hits the water to time rescuer hits the water? Aboutn 2.6 seconds.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
This is why in Florida there is actually a state law against feeding alligators.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I noticed the Good Samaritan didn't ask if she needed or wanted help. He didn't contact the harbor master. He just helped. Quickly. Instantly. And not one word of thanks from mom.
:stir:

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I noticed the Good Samaritan didn't ask if she needed or wanted help. He didn't contact the harbor master. He just helped. Quickly. Instantly. And not one word of thanks from mom.
He was a family member.

And yes, instinct, outstanding reaction. No analysis. Just do it. Now.
Love him.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Skipper, how about this. From the time the Sea Lion grabs her to the time she hits the water? 6/10 of a second. And, time from when she hits the water to time rescuer hits the water? Aboutn 2.6 seconds.
Yup. Fast. No time for doddling.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It's very poor judgement on the part of adults/parents to encourage kids to "play" with wild animals or to remain that close to them. You see this often in the wild parks, such as Yellowstone. A wild animal, as a rule, is potentially very dangerous to anything smaller than it. This kind of questionable behavior is somehow normalized by "petting" animal parks where the kids are encouraged to touch the animals up close and personal, etc. The young ones probably do not see a difference. "The animals are my friends", so do not keep their distance, etc. They may also get this from Disney and similar-type films depicting forest and sea animals as our playmates and confidants, etc. The "adult" in that crowd should minimally have had a grip on that little girl. Furthermore, it's ILLEGAL in California for her even to be on that dock w/o a PFD on.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
One probably does not get sued for a successful outcome where there are no "damages." If there ensued a "tug of war" between the rescuer and the sea lion, and the little girl drown or was bitten badly then.....who gets the bill? Some lawyer claiming Vulcan mind-meld capability might convince a jury that more actual harm was caused by the rescuer than the animal, who just loves little girls, and was just about to put her back on the dock unharmed.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Furthermore, it's ILLEGAL in California for her even to be on that dock w/o a PFD on.
I've never heard of that.
It might be recommended, and a good recommendation at that for kids, but I'm fairly certain it's not illegal.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
It's very poor judgement on the part of adults/parents to encourage kids to "play" with wild animals or to remain that close to them. You see this often in the wild parks, such as Yellowstone.
A few years back, while in Yellowstone, we witnessed a man approach a full grown elk to get a picture. The elk had no way out except to charge right at this guy. Luckily for him the elk was content to just lie where he was. Coulda been another Darwin Award recipient. There not called "wild" animals for nothing, people!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I've never heard of that.
It might be recommended, and a good recommendation at that for kids, but I'm fairly certain it's not illegal.

Life Jackets & Teens

While it may be tough to get teens to wear their life jackets, it's the law in many states and becoming more common as states raise the age requirement for mandatory wear. In Georgia, any boater under 13 years of age is now required to wear a life jacket while under way, putting the Georgia state law in line with U.S. Coast Guard recommendations. Virginia and Wisconsin are the only states that don't require children to be in life jackets while under way. Virginia introduced a bill requiring life jacket wear for children, and California looked at requiring children under 12 to wear life jackets on docks, but neither measure passed.

I thought it did pass.:confused:

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013/december/new-boating-laws-of-2013.asp