Registered users don't see ads

Screws into deck pulled out...

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by Allowishish, Nov 27, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. CloudDiver

CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,406 posts, 294 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego San Diego
    I can only assume WEST's test results are in Tension, not shear or compression. You didn't over discuss, you make really good points. The area of repair in question is where the Bimini Hinge screws down. Before he posted the pic I had thought it was just the leading edge or side edge of the fabric screwed through grommets. The more I think about that assumption the more silly is sounds... I've seen various attachment methods for Bimini fabric to the deck, usually the turn-key fabric snaps, not screws... anyway, the hinge may experience loads in tension & shear for sure. Regardless, a cap screw set into 2 inches of glass/epoxy threads should be more than adequate.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  2. CloudDiver

CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,406 posts, 294 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego San Diego
    I am not an engineer but there is a flaw in your calculations. The surface area of a 1/4" 20 cap screw cannot be determined by the simple surface area of a cylinder, the threads greatly increase that surface area. Also, you mentioned only 6 threads; take a look at the pic the OP posted... That area is a minimum of two inches deep. I get the feeling some people don't have much faith in this method, but seriously... I'm telling you from experience that there is an insane amount of bite and holding power this way, even for small screws or bolts.

3. Allowishish

Allowishish

Joined Oct 30, 2017
    33 posts, 12 likes
    Catalina c 27
    Long Monday US Colorado Lake Pueblo
    at this point I was staying out of it... but the deck is about 3/8-1/2" thick there.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  4. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    608 posts, 80 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Allowishish: Is the boat outside or inside now? Don't try to fix it if the temps are not within the range for the epoxy to set!!!

If you want any advice, it would be useful to see some photos of how the dodger is rigged: i) when it's Up with the lines, snaps, and fabric all tensioned; and ii) if it's folded down ; and, if it's setup for partial deployment. If you can send some shots of the connections that failed; and, the connections on the side that didn't. Are they both distressed?

There's no rush -- the ice will not be out for another five-or six months :^)))).

Will Gilmore likes this.
  5. Allowishish

Allowishish

Joined Oct 30, 2017
    33 posts, 12 likes
    Catalina c 27
    Long Monday US Colorado Lake Pueblo
    It will be on the water all winter.

I am heading down this weekend to see just how badly I screwed it up. But honestly at this point I am trying to polish the proverbial turd. My focus this weekend will be fine fitting the plywood decking for the larger berth and cleaning up the dodger mess.
    If it pulls out again I will at that point fully clean it up and do it properly.

That said it is supposed to be low to mid 60's with decent wind so I am hoping to get out and get the sails up as well.

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.