Scanstrut Cable Seals..... Install

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all,

So an acquaintance of mine purchased these for a solar install and decided not to use them so he sold them to me for $25 each.... new out of the box. Score! I was getting ready to purchase these online this week and saved over $60..... Anyway, I anticipated bedding them with buytl tape, however they come with a foam gasket that reportedly is waterproof. Has a sticky backing I assume you stick to seal then place and screw them in. What is the thought here...... Anybody install these and have some input?? I hate to redo things.......

Thanks!

Greg

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I still put a "ring" of butyl around the hole in the boat the wire goes through. When I disassembled it later, I found the butyl had filled the empty cavity in the underside of the Scanstrut, making a nice secondary seal.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I chuck the gasket and use butyl. Scanstruts are the bomb. freeze the puck and drill what ever holes you need one size smaller than the actual diameter of whatever wire you are passing through. Of course prudence and patience and proper measuring will get more than one hole per unit.