SCAD external tank sensor/WEMA Group multi tank monitor

May 20, 2004
Hunter MH 40 Noank, CT
The floats are stuck in both of the WEMA internal tank sensors in our waste tanks. We have the WEMA Group multi tank level indicator (the one shaped like a boat). Does anyone know if the SCAD sensor will work electronically with our WEMA multi tank level indicator.

I know that I can remove/clean/replace the WEMA sensors, but think the external sensor might be the way to go if it works with our existing gauge.

Thanks

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Does anyone know if the SCAD sensor will work electronically with our WEMA multi tank level indicator.
Nope...sorry it won't. The SCAD system can use the same wiring as the (Dometic)SeaLand TankWatch systems, but doesn't work with any part of the WEMA gauges. My advice: take your holding tank out of the WEMA multi-tank system and install a SCAD "Solo" tank indicator for it. Fuel and water tanks have more in common with each other than a waste tank does because fuel and water tanks start full and are drained a little at a time...whereas holding tanks start empty and fill up a little at a time...so it's not a big deal to have a separate system for the waste tank, plus it's not likely to be affected by any issues in the WEMA system. I'd put the panel for the SCAD in the head where it can be seen from the toilet...making overfilling the tank a lot less likely...though not impossible 'cuz unless you install a flush lockout, nothing can guarantee that everyone will pay attention to the gauge or that someone will decide to risk one more flush.
--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
All internal senders on holding tank gauges get clogged up with the animal fats in waste. Removing the senders and cleaning 'em by hand using detergent (Dawn is good) is the only thing that works.

--Peggie

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
All internal senders on holding tank gauges get clogged up with the animal fats in waste. Removing the senders and cleaning 'em by hand using detergent (Dawn is good) is the only thing that works.

--Peggie
Yuk! :) But, then again, it's nice when they work.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
OR, use New Providence Marine tube sensors- ultra reliable and nothing to clean- ever!
New Providence Marine is where the actually mfr'ing of the Profile monitors Profile Tank Monitors is done. SCAD is a private label brand of the Profile systems.
The tube senders are meant for use in metal tanks. The sender is the same one (minus the tape) that goes on the outside of plastic tanks...it's just inside a PVC pipe, preventing tank contents from coming in contact with it. You'd only want to use it in anything but a metal tank or a FG tank with walls too thick for the external sender to work if you have no access to a vertical surface at the deepest part of the tank to put the external sender on.
--Peggie

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta

--Peggie
My waste indicator only ever reads empty or full -- nothing in between. Would this generally indicate a clogged up sensor, or something else? Also, when one does go to clean it, is there a gasket or anything else that needs to be replaced when re-inserting it into the tank?
Thanks!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Are there other choices on the panel? Or is it one that only has a green light until it's full and a red light when it is? If it's that kind, replace it with one that lets you know how much is in the tank.

As for whether there's any gasket...that depends on how it's installed. A lot of 'em are installed in the threaded cap in what amounts to an inspection port.
--Peggie