say NO to Nike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
disgusted with Nike's unpatriotic decision to pull the RW&B w/colonial flag sneakers off the market. Never been a big fan of their stuff, but I do have my share by default, hard to avoid the swish on some apparel.

Called them yesterday to vent, their customer service line was inundated with calls, an hour plus wait, presumably by po'd patriotic folks according to the operator. Say NO to Nike!

rant over.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Its always a mistake when businesses get involved in politics. Most of us want to be who we are, and live our lives without such an emphasis on taking sides. In today's political climate, taking sides is almost required. I personally have very strong political views, however there are times when I need a break. I just don't want it crammed down my throat from corporations everywhere I turn. I rarely watch TV anymore because every show has an agenda.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I thought they'd take the flags off but still sell the shoes. Or maybe just spray paint over them. Me, I've got no problem as is/was. I just don't understand Mr K complaining and this all happens.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
When manufacturers do stuff I disagree with, not always political, the easiest thing I can do is to stop supporting them with my money.

In the early 80's GM screwed our family hard with the faulty diesels then refused to stand behind their warranties. No one in our family has owned a GM vehicle, used or new, since. In 1982 dollars it cost my dad three years and $11k in legal fees to beat GM and force them to honor their written warranties. That 11K was never recouped but he did the right thing standing up for the little guy.

We stopped supporting Nike with the first Kaepernick ad. We have avoided Exxon, to the best of our ability, since the Valdez fiasco and we stopped shopping at Target as well. I also stopped buying from Sears when they stopped honoring their Craftsman tool warranty and failed to make good on two Kenmore appliance extended warranties. These issues required us to hire a lawyer. We won but the legal fees were never recvered. We will also never own any newer Mercedes-Benz after they tried to screw us on a CPO warranty, we won that legal battle too but the legal fees to do so were not recovered. We have also stopped supporting P&G/Gillette, to the best of our abilities, as well. Thanks to their ad campaign from last year I discovered how wonderful and affordable Harry's razors are. Sometimes these companies actually do me a favor by forcing me to re-think why I am supporting them.

We also dropped cable & network TV almost 14 years ago & well before Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime even existed.... We stopped supporting professional football, basketball & baseball too.

There are a number of other companies we choose not to support but it is not usually based on politics. Sometimes companies are just scumbags who treat their customers like crap.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Like others I have been voting for a decade or more with my dollars. When companies do something/take a stand I don’t agree with. I go without, or find an alternative. Our house has been Nike free for years! Don’t go to movies either.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Called them yesterday to vent, their customer service line was inundated with calls, an hour plus wait, presumably by po'd patriotic folks according to the operator. Say NO to Nike!
You purposely waited on hold for an hour to protest a marketing strategy thats not even directed towards you? Thats kinda funny.

You have to think of Nike as the shoe equivelent if the NRA. The target market likes thier shoes, like you like your guns. There is nothing the NRA can say that would piss off the gun nuts, and nothing Nike can do to piss off the urban crowd. If some idiot waits an hour on hold calling the NRA to tell them they should support restrictive gun sales, theyed be mocked relentlessy, at least Nike sounded polite, since you did not report that they were rude.

"living anchor free"

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
You purposely waited on hold for an hour to protest a marketing strategy thats not even directed towards you? Thats kinda funny.
Bobby, I'm not stupid nor idiot enough as you infer to wait on hold for an hour, it was a 2 minute attempt to voice my opinion before hangup, sometimes opinions matter to manufacturers, especially in volume....so does free speech....

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
the RW&B w/colonial flag sneakers

Are they the shoes that are made in China, or the ones that are made in Indonesia, or the ones that are made in Bangladesh, or the ones that are made in Vietnam, or the ones that are made in Myanmar, or the ones that are made in the Philippines?

Gary

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It hasn’t been that long ago, just after ‘9/11’, when every person living in America horned and revered the flag in any form. Protesting it now, for whatever excuse seems fashionable, is asinine.

Now that I wrote that, what does any of this have to do with boats or sailing?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I too quit Nike after their idiot ad with the traitor.
This newest idiocy only cements it further.
And regarding "target customers", horse pucky. I have been an avid Nike shoe fan for decades. Nothing but Nike. Even on the boat.
There was nothing anyone could say to persuade me to change brands.
Until now.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
This is a sailing forum. There are plenty of political forums to rant on. Go there,
This is the "Sails Call Lounge". I think all political and other posts except those that are obscene or in really bad taste are permitted only here. Yes there are other political forums but here we can get an insight into the feelings and opinions of our fellow sailors.
If you don't wish to see these posts, and I'm sure there are many who do not, just unsubscribe from this forum. And POOF, they are gone!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Mark, the Sailscall forum is the one place on sbo.com where members can rant and tell UnPC jokes etc. No one is required to read it...I skip the stuff I don't like, read and even occasionally participate in stuff that interests me. I suggest you do the same.

--Peggie

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Thank you Rich & Peggie! Spot on!

BTW, clearly my OP was not political, it was AMERICAN! Regardless of which side of the aisle folks stand on (and I fully respect that), it matters not.

THE FLAG is a symbol of our nation, whether it has 13 stars or 50 (hmmm, One Nation, Under God, Indivisible!)....for those who are offended, their loss IMO....I carried it (literally), defended it, and always will.

Happy 4th to All!

Semper Fi!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Kinda ruined my day to be reminded that there are so many good people that feel a need to pick sides.

The colonial flag is a part of July 4th and its interesting to get the new perspective that for many people its hard to find the way forward by referencing the paradigms of the past. As if to say, there is no redeeming quality of history that brings pride.

I hope we can as americans create monents in time that everyone is proud of.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Nike moved it's manufacturing to other countries a long time ago. Seems kind of ironic to bitch about them but then again what could be more American than sending manufacturing over seas to make a buck?

Serving one's country is noble and honorable thing to do. I wanted to serve when I was younger but with all the corruption, agendas, lies and scandals I simply couldnt bring myself to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.