Sanitation Hose Replacement

Mar 16, 2018
Catalina 310 202 Carlyle, IL
Any experience or advice for replacing the Sanitation Hose on a Catalina 310? Much appreciated.

Brian

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Replaced ours 11 years ago. Don't want to do it again but will have too. Best deal on the hose I found is on Amazon. I have been looking at what it would take to use hard pipe and hose sections.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We did it in July with 10 feet of the Peggy Hall recommended Trident 101. It's an awful job and not just for the smell and gross factor. It was very hard to get the hose to feed through the PVC pipe Catalina installed. We lubed the outside with Cornhuskers Oil (no petroleum so it doesn't affect the hose). I have a small access point just behind the head bulkhead that I put in when I installed the watermaker. It was close enough to the start of the PVC that I could use it to feed the hose. It look a lot of effort to push the new pipe through. I also had to cut a little bit of the fiberglass cover over the tank away to gain access to put the hose on the fitting on the tank. Heated the hose with a heat gun to make it easier to push onto the fitting also lubricated the fitting with Cornhuskers Oil.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
We must have lucked out when replacing ours. It went thru pretty easy-no need for any additional access or lube. We used Trident 101, white, like Peggy recommends. I think there’s another type she likesl that is more flexible, but costs more. I drilled little holes in the ends of the old and new hose and used cable ties to connect them when pulling. Peggy recommends a short coupling to do that, but we didn’t have one and the cable ties worked fine for us.

We flushed things real well before removing the old hose, and emptied the holding tank (also rinsing well). I didn’t think it was that gross or disgusting, but again, maybe we lucked out. Or maybe it’s because I used to work at a sewage treatment plant and have seen and smelled some really disgusting things!

Also replaced the pump out hose and both hoses to and from the macerator pump at the same time. Used Trident 101 for all of it. Pricey, but worth it to have no smell.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Trident 101, white, like Peggy recommends. I think there’s another type she likesl that is more flexible, but costs more.
I still like Trident 101/102, but only for long straight runs 'cuz it doesn't permeate with odor, but it's as stiff as an ironing board, making it impractical to use for runs with a lot of bends. For those, I'd go with Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose. It's also proven to be as resistant to odor permeation as Trident 101/102, but it's so flexible that it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking....so it's MUCH easier to use. It's a little more expensive than 101/102, but worth the extra dollar or two.

And btw...as long as you're replacing hoses, this would be a great time to reroute the vent line to a thru-hull and "upgrade" it to a 1" line and open thru-hull. A li'l gadget called the Uniseal UNISEAL makes installing a new vent fitting in the tank a fairly easy job.
--Peggie

Nov 16, 2012
And btw...as long as you're replacing hoses, this would be a great time to reroute the vent line to a thru-hull and "upgrade" it to a 1" line and open thru-hull. A li'l gadget called the Uniseal UNISEAL makes installing a new vent fitting in the tank a fairly easy job.
--Peggie
We did that also. Real easy job, and other than a moment of panic when starting to drill the hole in the hull, very worthwhile.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
"Peggy recommends a short coupling to do that, but we didn’t have one and the cable ties worked fine for us."
What coupling do you recommend Peggy? Thanks...
bob

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
"Peggy recommends a short coupling to do that, but we didn’t have one and the cable ties worked fine for us." What coupling do you recommend Peggy? Thanks..
I'd use a male-male "hose mender" (available and inexpensive from any decent marine store or the plumbing department in any decent hardware store....cut the ends off both the old hose and the new as clean and straight as possible...you want them to form a smooth unbroken surface when butted tightly together. Warm the hoses to put 'em on the fitting...use a little Dawn or better yet, K-Y to lube both the insides of the hose ...and use a little of any sealant you like, even 5200, to "glue" the hose to fitting. Hose clamps--even cable ties--can get hung up,duct tape won't hold against a strong pull...and the last thing you want is for the hoses to come apart in an inaccessible location. When you've pulled the new hose all the way through, cut it off the end of the fitting and throw that away with the old hose.
And hope that neither the boat builder nor a PO had neatly C-clamped the hose to the hull every 3". We ran into that on one of the first re-hosing jobs we ever did...on a 38' Bayliner MY. Holding tank under the sole at the foot of the master berth in the bow...both the pumpout and vent line run all the way to the cockpit. We had to take the whole starboard side of the cabin including the galley cabinets out to get the hoses loose to remove 'em.

--Peggie

Mar 16, 2018
Catalina 310 202 Carlyle, IL
Wow... thanks all. What/where is the PVC pipe Jese mentioned? I haven't "dug" into it yet. I replaced the hoses on my 1985 O'Day 31 and that wasn't much fun either. Does anyone have a diagram of the system?

Nov 16, 2012
Wow... thanks all. What/where is the PVC pipe Jese mentioned? I haven't "dug" into it yet. I replaced the hoses on my 1985 O'Day 31 and that wasn't much fun either. Does anyone have a diagram of the system?
There’s a PVC pipe/conduit glassed to the hull(?) that runs from the head (behind and to the left of the toilet) to the bulkhead just forward of the tank. Some of the earlier threads have pictures showing it. The waste hose “slides” thru it.

As I reread the posts, it seems that the fitting for the waste hose may be towards the bottom, or towards the top of the tank. Ours was at the top, and that may have made it much easier to replace the hose. Also, sliding the tank aft helped a lot. One picture showed it at the bottom, and required two 90 degree ells to connect!

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
There’s a PVC pipe/conduit glassed to the hull(?) that runs from the head (behind and to the left of the toilet) to the bulkhead just forward of the tank. Some of the earlier threads have pictures showing it. The waste hose “slides” thru it.

As I reread the posts, it seems that the fitting for the waste hose may be towards the bottom, or towards the top of the tank. Ours was at the top, and that may have made it much easier to replace the hose. Also, sliding the tank aft helped a lot. One picture showed it at the bottom, and required two 90 degree ells to connect!
Mine is setup the same.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
My strong suggestion is to use PVC pipe instead of hose. Any hose, even the 101 will permeate if there is waste sitting in it and it is not possible to avoid this on the hose from the tank to the throughull. Use 1 1/4" PVC pipe and couple it to the tank and the throughull with thick rubber couplings. Not to mention that PVC pipe is much easier to run than hose. No smell, same as at home.

I kept the Trident 101 hose from the bowl to the tank, it does not stink and it is typically well flushed. One day I will get to it.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
My strong suggestion is to use PVC pipe instead of hose. Any hose, even the 101 will permeate if there is waste sitting in it and it is not possible to avoid this on the hose from the tank to the throughull. Use 1 1/4" PVC pipe and couple it to the tank and the throughull with thick rubber couplings. Not to mention that PVC pipe is much easier to run than hose. No smell, same as at home.

I kept the Trident 101 hose from the bowl to the tank, it does not stink and it is typically well flushed. One day I will get to it.
Not what I would do on my boat. Boat builders use hose over PVC for a reason. Boats move, shake, twist, etc. and PVC doesn't like that. PVC is actually quite brittle. Maybe I would use it for a long, straight run if I could isolate the ends with hose but it doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I've seen a lot of YouTubers with cheap/free boats using PVC, sticky vinyl floors for bulkhead coverings and cabin soles, and more HD stuff. Doesn't make it right for sure but seems to get alot of exposure. One couple went so far to make a minimum holding tank out of PVC pipe, at that point a proper MSD with pump out could meet the same requirements.