San Juan 28 Rudder depth

Apr 11, 2016
San Juan 28 Comox
I am putting my boat on a tidal grid for the first time this Sunday morning to change zincs, touch up paint, and since this is my first time doing this, does anyone out there with a San Juan 28 know if the rudder will make contact sitting on the keel?
I do not have any pictures of this profile and my previous work has always been done in the boat yard with blocks and stands.
I think it is close but it should be shallower than the keel...hopefully someone knows the statistics or has the same boat.

Thanks again

Knotaklu

Frode

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I would be surprised if the rudder is deeper than the keel. That said, I know that my rudder isn't much different in depth than the keel, maybe less than 1'. Normally, the depth of the keel should protect the rudder from groundings, or the rudder should be able to kick up. I don't have a San Juan and I can't say that I have ever seen one. I'm pretty sure that in all of my observations in boatyards during the winter that I have never seen a fixed keel and spade rudder where the rudder is as deep or deeper than the keel.

& BTW, mine is shoal draft. If you don't have shoal draft, I can't imagine a rudder deeper than the keel.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On the grid you may need to block the boat or place the rudder between the bases of the grid. Get some good fender boards to support the side of the boat against the dock.
image.png

Apr 11, 2016
San Juan 28 Comox
It sure doesn’t and I just came back from the marina to take a few pictures of the grid which is now on a lower tide, wish someone could confirm for me based on their own San Juan 28 because I cannot for the life of me find any specifications indicating this rudder depth only overall draft which should be the keel.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sitting at your dock, can you measure the depth of your rudder from the surface. It should give you a good estimate tonuse to compare to the spec.