San Juan 21 keel

Jan 17, 2019
San Juan 21 Sc
anyone know where to buy a keel gasket for my San Juan. Also how do you install them especially on a trailer. I don't plan on racing the boat so I may not even need one.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Cstrock ,

Unfortunately, I've surfed nearly entire web and only found a couple places that sell your requested product, and they are in Germany. Also, while conducting my search, I found several sources that recommended the keel gasket be inspected or even replaced every year, depending on your location and water conditions. Supposedly, the reason for this is the plastic/rubber material the gasket is made of tends to dry out after being moved from water to dry air, and will eventually crack and become stiff overtime. This may prevent the keel from lowering all the way, if at all.

Jan 17, 2019
San Juan 21 Sc
I have read the same information. I'm confused on how they say to replace it often if u can't find the thing. I have nothing right now. I just got the boat. Put it in the water and there is water inside the look thru. I'm assuming there is supposed to be water inside there. It's not possible to make a swing keel water tight. I'm just mainly worried about when I start sailing if water is gonna rush in.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
I'm assuming there is supposed to be water inside there.
Yes, that's normal, but the installation of a keel gasket reduces that effect greatly, eliminating a lot of drag and potential flooding threats. Most swing keel boats have a trunk that prevents said flooding, but if your slot is exposed, I'd just keep a close eye on it.

Jan 17, 2019
San Juan 21 Sc
Yea there's a trunk there and the water comes prob 1/4 of the way up. Like I said not sure what gonna happen when I start moving. I got the boat for free so I'm restoring it. No water cam inside the cabin or anything like that. It seems the gasket is not 100 percent necessary but its recommend. I only plan on cruising

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
My San Juan MK I had a fabric skirt around the slot where the keel came out the bottom of the boat. Nothing else. Be sure to put the bolt in when the keel is down- IF you capsize the keel can swing up violently and do damage

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm not familiar with the SJ 21 centerboard, however the Flying Scot has a Dacron gasket that goes on the outside of the hull and allows the centerboard to drop down. The gasket helps to keep water from coming up through the CB trunk and into the boat while sailing.

You might call FS, Inc to see if it will work. https://flyingscot.com/product/dacron/

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I'm not familiar with the SJ 21 centerboard, however the Flying Scot has a Dacron gasket that goes on the outside of the hull and allows the centerboard to drop down. The gasket helps to keep water from coming up through the CB trunk and into the boat while sailing.

You might call FS, Inc to see if it will work. https://flyingscot.com/product/dacron/
same as my SJ 21

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What about a piece of rubber like tire inner tube from a truck tire. It might have the stiffness to seal the opening and minimize water splash yet flexible enough to allow the centerboard to be raised and lowered. That is what I used on my Montgomery 15. The boat had a nasty habit of letting in water splash up into the cockpit the moment I got the boat on a broad reach. Making me keep my feet up while sailing.