Salt or Fresh Head Water during the Night?

CADude

May 28, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 38 San Francisco
We have a 2014 Beneteau 38 that we keep in salt water with a single Jabsco Quiet-Flush head located amidships. My better ½ and the kids - who in the late hours of the night are comfortably snoozing in their cabins - are woken up during the night when I get up to ‘make water’ and flush the toilet. Not surprisingly ‘Quiet-Flush’ is an oxymoron. ‘She who must be obeyed’ has dictated that going forward the toilet will not be flushed between 11pm and 8am. I’ve told her that given the raw salt water in the system, the hoses will get coated with calcium if the bowl and system is not thoroughly flushed after each use…to which she suggested that I flush the system out with fresh tap water before retiring such that no salt will be present in the bowl during the hours of 11pm and 8am…after which time I can flush my 'water' out. Is my wife’s wise? Said differently, will fresh water in the hoses/and keeping the urine in the bowl be OK? Please advise and thanks in advance.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 boat came equipped with two sea water Jabsco electric toilets. These original noisy, but effective, toilets do the business, but while out during extended cruises I will leave pee in the toilet after a late night deposit until next morning. To abate any smell I will pour a cup or two of fresh water in the bowl, which seems to work well and keeps the admiral happy.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I see you've just joined our merry band today...welcome aboard!

QUOTE="CADude, post: 1457737, member: 141588"]I’ve told her that given the raw salt water in the system, the hoses will get coated with calcium if the bowl and system is not thoroughly flushed after each use[/QUOTE]
Not true...Salt will not clog the sanitation system hoses overnight or even in a single month.. A cupful--2 at the most--of distilled white vinegar flushed ALL the way through to the tank once a week (or at the end of each weekend aboard) will prevent it altogether. Just be sure to follow the vinegar with plenty of FRESH water after 45 minutes. Do NOT leave it sitting in the toilet or hoses. So it's ok to leave all the "water you need to make" overnight festering in the bowl till morning. Or...If no one is around in the wee small hours of the morning, the lee rail is an option. Or...you might consider investing in an old fashioned chamber pot for overnight use. Empty it into the toilet in the morning.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm kinna surprised he didn't just piss over the side. A good chance to check topsides. It would also leave the ball in her court.

BTW, one of the worst things for joker valves is sustained exposure to urine. Worse than any other common chemical I tested, excluding a few things that make no sense at all in plumbing.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Another option is a Tide detergent bottle. A live aboard friend of mine uses this to minimize his holding tank from filling until the pump out boat arrives....

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Stop by a medical supply place and get one of the bottles they use in the hospital or nurshing home when a guy can't get out the wheel chair to relieve himself. It is about 1 quart with a snap lid on top. Works great - keeps the smell down-and one size fits all! Got mine when I checked out of the hospital after 5 way bypass surgery :yikes:.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You can buy portable urine bottles--both male and female versions-- at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Amazon and a whole bunch of places. Google "portable urinal" to find all kinds of 'em.

--Peggie

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is about 1 quart with a snap lid on top.
Ohhhhh...:yikes: Care must be used. Is that lid like a snapping turtle?:mad:
That would strike fear into all males. "One size fits all"...:yikes::yikes: Well of course. After it snaps shut every one would be the same size.
Gives the term "Bobbitt" a whole new meaning.:kick::laugh:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Stop by a medical supply place and get one of the bottles they use in the hospital or nurshing home when a guy can't get out the wheel chair to relieve himself. It is about 1 quart with a snap lid on top. Works great - keeps the smell down-and one size fits all! Got mine when I checked out of the hospital after 5 way bypass surgery :yikes:.
I guess you are done shipping out! Wow!