Saloon Table conversion to Bunk Bed

Trevor

Oct 15, 2009
Hunter 38 Vaal dam
I have a Hunter 38 2007 model built in UK (Legend) but branded Hunter as it was an Import to South Africa. When i drop the saloon table for additional sleeping space the table catches on the fore and aft seats stopping the table dropping completely and consequently when adding the foam mattress supplied by Hunter the ends stick up because of the table catching on the seats, The table has two legs and double tubes so one tube can slide down the other to drop table height. Has anyone had this problem before or am i doing something wrong? I am sure this is the first post of this nature on Cruisers Forum

Attachments

Sep 30, 2016
Hunter 36 Westbrook, CT
If it's anything like our 2008 Hunter 36, you need to remove the seat cushions and open up the hatches under the cushions to lower the table so it rests on the fiddles at the right level. I rigged up some long sticks (they stay in the compartments) and some blocks glued onto the hatches to hold them propped open while we do this so you don't need 5 people to do the job.

Trevor

Oct 15, 2009
Hunter 38 Vaal dam
thanks for the prompt reply, I will check this weekend and see if it is the same, I think you are probably on the right track.
Crazy design, one would think that you would not need to have to hold up the hatches all night when sleeping, i would hate to think if your sticks came undone and the hatch slammed down, give one a heart attack

Sep 30, 2016
Hunter 36 Westbrook, CT
Sorry if I confused you. Once the table is down, the hatches can be closed again - the lids lay just over the top of the table. The sticks are only for the lowering process itself.

Trevor

Oct 15, 2009
Hunter 38 Vaal dam
ok but will the hatches not interfere with the cushion laying flat

Sep 30, 2016
Hunter 36 Westbrook, CT
No they won't. The thickness of the table is the same as the space between the fiddle it rests on and the bottom of the hatch lid so they lay flat. I think once you open the hatches and see this fiddles, it will be more obvious. I don't have a photo with me of this area.

Trevor

Oct 15, 2009
Hunter 38 Vaal dam
great thanks, will try this weekend and i am sure all will be revealed