Registered users don't see ads

Salon table

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by dehler25, Aug 11, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. dehler25

dehler25

Joined Sep 10, 2012
    148 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bradenton, Florida
    The salon table is seldom used and would be easy to lift up to the cabin top to open up the area. There is no provision to keep it there. A mention from a brokerage advertisment when the boat was on the market previously said there was an ingenious method of positioning it up high athough there is nothing to indicate what that marvel might have been. I thought about a nice compression collar but incorporating a means to stop rotation is a little tricky. A hole through the compression post with a nice pin would work but I am reluctant to drill through the post. Anyone have a creative approach?

2. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    365 posts, 103 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Michigan Port Huron
    Are you suggesting that you would like to raise the salon table to a position at the ceiling of the cabin?

3. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,387 posts, 314 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    On my B235 I drilled a 3/16 hole in the post, both sides, for a long pin. Or an Allen wrench.

4. dehler25

dehler25

Joined Sep 10, 2012
    148 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bradenton, Florida
    Yes, if it were to slide all the way up the compression post it would be completely out of the way. The idea of drilling through the post is just a little unnerving! There doesn't appear to be anything inside the post so no worries there. I was just wondering if anyone had come up with something else.

5. Bill Roosa

Bill Roosa

Joined Jun 6, 2006
    6,810 posts, 92 likes
    Hunter 40.5
    US Harrington Harbor North, MD
    My 40.5 hunter has a clamp (and counterweight/sheave) that works like a hose clamp. Loosen it and you can raise or rotate the table. tighten it and it stays in place. The counter weight makes moving it up and down a snap BTW. No holes required.
    On the subject of holes in structural members take a look at some of the masts around you. LOTS of holes in them and they don't fall down. FWIW

6. dehler25

dehler25

Joined Sep 10, 2012
    148 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bradenton, Florida
    Structurally it should have zero impact I just hate marring a nice brushed piece of stainless although it seems my best choice at this point. I am guessing there is not a picture, was it a OEM install?

7. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    1,120 posts, 30 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Westport, MA
    Just a nit, but even though the term "salon" is gaining in popular usage, mostly among the powerboat fleet, the correct term is "saloon." This, from the Boater's Encyclopedia:

Parsons likes this.
  8. Bill Roosa

Bill Roosa

Joined Jun 6, 2006
    6,810 posts, 92 likes
    Hunter 40.5
    US Harrington Harbor North, MD
    well the OEM install did cut a slot for the counterweight one.

Legend-era interior teak oil
Hunter's original interior teak finish on many boats from the 90's and earlier.
Deck fill caps for most Hunter sailboats
In stock, these caps will fit most boats newer than 1990
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
Hunter gaskets for all!
Gaskets for ports, hatches, latches, speaker pods, refrigerators, freezers, more.