Sailing San Diego

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The wife and I are going to visit our son, daughter and grand child in San Diego, this will be our first visit and while there I would like to take advantage of the fine weather by spending at least a day out sailing, would any of our fine SBO's have any recommendations for a reputable business to either rent for a day or do a charter for a day. I have looked on line and there are literally dozens of places, most of which are membership based. Just looking for some pointers. The trip is coming up in February and would like to secure something before we leave.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Seaforth in Mission Bay It only takes 15 minutes to get out into the ocean. Looks like the largest boat is a Merit 25 or Catalina 250.. Anything larger will be with a charter club. btw there is quite a bit to do in Mission Bay..
The other seaforth locations in Coronado and Harbor Island, I don't know much about... If you just want to stay in flat water and look at the skyline and some big ships I'd suggest Harbor Island... it takes a 45 minutes to get out in the ocean from Harbor Island..... 90 minuets from Coronado.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maybe 7 years ago I visited a friend in San Diego. She took me to the "Kansas City BBQ" place. I thought it was because in the 40 years with my band, I sang Kansas City at every gig. No, said she didn't know that. We were there because it was used to film the bar scenes in Top Gun. Worth a visit, it is right next to one of the rail systems.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I'm with Joe. I work in San Diego and I rent boats from Seaforth also. I do not know about the Mission Bay location but the one in Coronado has a Catalina 25 and a bunch of Capri 22s. They are not in the best shape but there are safe and good as rental boats go. They spend a little time with you to get you familiar with the waters. There is another location downtown at the Marriott Marquis with a Catalina 270. I prefer Coronado because parking is free and that is a big deal in SD. San Diego Bay can be a mall parking lot at Christmas and there are a lot of restricted areas. If you wander into one you will meet someone quickly. Also most of the bay is full speed and power boats abound. Where I go they do not let you into the ocean. Maybe it has something to do with the boat size. It's fun and I definitely recommend it.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Maybe 7 years ago I visited a friend in San Diego. She took me to the "Kansas City BBQ" place. I thought it was because in the 40 years with my band, I sang Kansas City at every gig. No, said she didn't know that. We were there because it was used to film the bar scenes in Top Gun. Worth a visit, it is right next to one of the rail systems.
Still there and has lots of character right down to the old Iraqi money stapled to the walls.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Even though I've sailed my own boat in the waters around San Diego, I've also chartered there a couple of times some years ago. Once leaving Harbor Island of San Diego Bay (SDB) on a Catalina 25 (Marina Sailing) and one other time leaving Quiveria Basin of Mission Bay on a Capri 22 (Seaforth), I believe. I've also used Marina Sailing sailing out of Long Beach and Oxnard, CA, and was once a member of Marina Sailing in Long Beach. It's a good company. They appear to have larger boats available in SDB than those mentioned above at Seaforth. The Cat 25 we took out some distance past Pt. Loma and then back. The Capri 22 we sailed up into "Sail Bay" inside Mission Bay. Both venues have something to offer, but there is much more stuff to see from the water starting in San Diego Bay. However, if you wish to go into the ocean and sail along the coast, leaving from Mission Bay using Seaforth (if they let you go outside) would likely be the better choice.

One caveat--going out the channel at Mission Bay can be a challenge if the wind and sea are up from the west or southwest; it's likely to be a "motor-boater" (wind on the nose) experience where you may need to wait to hoist the mainsail until after clearing the channel. The kids might be sick in the first 30 min just getting out there if the sea/swell is up and they are not "sailors." Staying inside Mission Bay is fine, but it's only a couple of hours worth of sailing, IMHO. If you go outside in Santa Ana conditions stay near the coast. Those winds are from the east and northeast, and can be quite strong and gusty.

https://marinasailing.com/Harbors/Harbors/HarborInfo?HarborCode=SD

Last edited: