Sailing Phrase's

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yea, back when GPS units were a new thing, & before most of them had maps on them, I had a Garmin GPS III+ in the car when I got pulled over for speeding on I-95. The cop said that he had clocked me at 72mph. I said that my GPS & speedometer both had my speed as being under 65 (a much cheaper ticket). He then asked me if the GPS also recorded max MPH. I found that screen for him. It came up around 450mph. An AFP buddy of mine had been using it while testing out a Citation a few weeks earlier & I hadn't reset the numbers yet. I still got the ticket, but the look on the cop's face was priceless. I think that he was planning to be a smart guy & write me a ticket for the max speed indicated. Obviously, that would not have worked out well for him. It was a good bit of entertainment.
Back in the very early days of GPS, the civilian version of Garmin and Magellan (I worked there) devices limited the speed readout to a max of 100-120 MPH. The idea was to not compete with our aviation products, most of which were not products yet. In the early-mid 90s we started getting requests for USAF pilots (mostly A10 guys) to stop that. The inertial nav built into the A10 was garbage, and they wanted the moving maps. They were duct-taping handheld units in the cockpits. So we both turned it off.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The tank of the air... and a terrific tank killer. Known as the Worthog. One Bad A$$ plane.
View attachment 154671
We have a retired 3-Star here in Sumter who flew A-10s. Nice fella. He graduated from East Carolina University. When I told him my mother didn’t want me to go there because it had the reputation of being a party school he said that she was right. But dang. He made 3-Star General in the Air Force. Party on!!

P.S. He also makes real good home brew beer.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Nov 25, 2015
Endeavour 32 Middle River, Md
1st Rule of Windsurfing, "Never leave wind to find wind"

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
From my notes on DR navigation that I stumbled on while sailing this past week. To change ''vertical to horizontal'' add more whiskey. I think I did well in that class.