Sailing Phrase's

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Never more than once. I was able to disconnect and toss the hot plug onto the dock before it went taut.
Yow.
I did it once and it stopped the boat. I have not done it again because it is on my mental checklist to have it disconnected at both outlets before I leave.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Favorite saying -

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream & shout.

Interesting that you mentioned this quote. While I was in the navy, one of my shipmates frequently would sarcastically repeat this whenever things wern't going to his liking. Looking into it further, it might actually have a more nautical origin.

The original of that was "When in danger or in doubt, port your helm and come about."

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I did it once and it stopped the boat. I have not done it again because it is on my mental checklist to have it disconnected at both outlets before I leave.
My mental checklist has holes in it, but that isn't one of them!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
“If I’ve heard that once, I’ve heard it a thousand times”
I'd call you on your hyperbole but I think you're understating the issue.

I do have a slight mistake, really not much, it wasn't even my fault and nothing really happened anyhow. It's not like I would ever do something dumb like leave a dock without casting off all the lines or the electrical or anything.
But, I have a number of trailers for different uses, both in 1-7/8" and 2" balls. However, I've never had a problem, well maybe once, many years ago, with my first truck when I ended up with a big arc etched into my tailgate from the safety chains letting the tongue swing up on a trailer that someone, I'm not naming names, loaded back heavy. Recently, however, someone, again, I'm not naming names, had put the 1-7/8" ball on and I didn't realize the mismatch between Dragonfly's trailer. Nothing "really" happened except our road is a little bumpy. (Hey, I'm not the one who maintains it), and maybe the trailer might have jumped, just a little, while moving her. Luckily I wasnt going fast, just moving her out of the way and I would have never made such a mistake, not that I "really" made a mistake (I mean, anyone could have missed it and nothing really happened. Did I say that already?) if I were going on the highway or something. It was such a little thing really and no one was around and no one got hurt so it's really like I never dropped my trailer in the middle of the road anyhow.

Pinocchio, in deed! ;)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So I don't never read these without a drink first and got to laughing when I read Will's post because of my mother always saying, ''Mother Nature doesn't smile on everybody''. And what I read was poor Will was left with 1 big and 1 little ball. But I'm a poor reader so maybe I missed something like ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.’

Oct 11, 2014
Freedom 32 Merritt Island
So how do I get the Sail trim chart? I clicked on the list below the posting...nothing.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
When racing its rarely a good thing when your boat is doing something that nobody else is doing. Normally the good people end up doing the same thing, or they evenly split.

So when we're out on a flyer we use a shorter variant of the USAF tac recon squadrons slogan.. we look at each other, smile and say:

ALONE AND UNFRAID

Credit where credit is due...
s-l300.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
“Unafraid”
They had a bit of help.... They were flying at Mach 3+ and were over 80,000 feet high.
Basically flying near the edge of space, with their butts on fire. What could you be afraid of?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
what I read was poor Will was left with 1 big and 1 little ball.
I hope you noticed that the little ball was still 1-7/8" :biggrin:. Hey, it's all relative. When I get back from Scotland, Relativity might be a good next post for my Super Secret Settled Science of Sailing thread.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Yea, back when GPS units were a new thing, & before most of them had maps on them, I had a Garmin GPS III+ in the car when I got pulled over for speeding on I-95. The cop said that he had clocked me at 72mph. I said that my GPS & speedometer both had my speed as being under 65 (a much cheaper ticket). He then asked me if the GPS also recorded max MPH. I found that screen for him. It came up around 450mph. An AFP buddy of mine had been using it while testing out a Citation a few weeks earlier & I hadn't reset the numbers yet. I still got the ticket, but the look on the cop's face was priceless. I think that he was planning to be a smart guy & write me a ticket for the max speed indicated. Obviously, that would not have worked out well for him. It was a good bit of entertainment.

Last edited: