Sailing Lessons

Oct 8, 2013
S2 27 Delaware Bay currently
I'm sure I could use some lessons. I'm thinking early next season, now would be a bit brisk. :) I'm new to sailing, so everything could use a lesson of one kind or another.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Woody: Thank you for purchasing my products. Tomorrow I'm shipping sailboatowners.com 30 SAIL TRIM CHARTS and QUICK REFERENCES to replenish their inventory. I think they have an ample supply of books. You didn't hijack the thread -- anything goes on the sail trim forum.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
This might be the long way but it worked. I was on vacation and bored. I went into the nearest hobby shop and after eliminating all the dangerous and or loud models, blew the dust off an older sailboat model. The boat and remote cost me $125. Three days later I was installing batteries and learning about sail adjustment, which is very limited but effective. Because you had to install all the standing and running rigging you wound up with a clue on how it all worked. A year and five more models later, I took a sailing lesson with the admiral. Who would have guessed we both liked sailing! After a second lesson I bought a 25.5 hunter. Sailing every weekend rain or shine and crewing on race nite plus I have DG's chart and book. Just returned from taking my third boat, a Hunter 41, down to SC from CT. I have to say crewing on race night is a never ending learning experience and great fun.

May 17, 2004
Uncledom: I have a large Pond boat that I take to mini sail trim seminars. I added all the sail trim controls for the main and jib. It's a great visual aid. With some of the questions that we get on the sail trim forum I haven't a clue what the lister is talking about so I get out my pond boat and try to duplicate what the lister is talking about. It works most of the time.

Crewing on race boats is a good way to learn sail trim -- sometimes. Years ago, I tried to get a crew spot on race boats in So Ca. I contacted some of the winning skippers but once they learned I had no experience, it was like asking the best looking girl in high school to the dance -- I never heard from them again!! I ended up on a pick up crew boat and didn't learn a thing as none of us, including the skipper, knew anything. I'll bet that anyone who digests and understands the material in my book and has put into practice the adjustments suggested on the chart will know more about sail trim than 50% of the racing skippers worldwide. I'm being generous with 50%!!

A couple of boats I raced on were beautiful, the folks and food were great and there was plenty of beer/wine. I kept my mouth shut about sail trim and didn't care what the skipper told me to do (right or wrong and mostly wrong) -- I just did it because I wanted to stay on the boat!!

May 23, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter Berkeley
Sail Power

I read a book called SAIL POWER by Alan Ross. It described draft depth, position, twist & angle to the wind very well my newbie mind thought. It also said that tightening one side of a sail, in general, loosens the other two. This told me that sail trim was going to be a circular process. So I set sail in the front yard. Could adjust depth to some extent. Angle & twist worked as advertised. Draft position was not working. SOooo, Off to my local sailmaker who looked at the sails for about a minute & laughed! It seems about all they were good for was making bags to put real sails in. He proved to me that you had to have "good enough" sails to see the changes. I also bought my first new jib.
That's how I learned to sail.
A book, a crusty old sailmaker, a new jib, a used main, and lots of time on the water learning to race my own boat.
The book is very outdated now but the basics are still the same. It was invaluable to me. I KNEW how it should work & if I did it, I went fast.
Then this guy Guillette came along & made it REALLY simple!

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
When I teach friends how to sail, I tell them it will take two hours to learn how to move the boat across the water and they can spend the rest of their life learning to sail. Draft depth, draft position, twist and angle of attack are too advanced for a "newbie"; rather a person needs to get a lot of basic stuff out of the way and get some experience under their belt before getting into all the sail controls. Some of my friends have learned very well the first time, only to seem completely flummoxed on their second sail and that's because it just takes repeated lessons for the initial learning to sink in. Clogging up their heads with outhaul, jib car position, halyard tension, etc. won't do them any good because they are usually busy thinking about which way the wind is blowing as opposed to whether their sail is getting maximum lift.

Once they start to make sound decisions about angle of attack and demonstrate that they can keep the sails sufficiently trimmed with just the sheets, I move on to other things. I start with the things one does to deal with increased wind strength, which on my boat is the cunningham. As we play with that, I explain the effects on the sail (which is easy to see). And so on, with each of the (minimal) sail controls on my boat being employed and explained in an applied manner. This, I believe, is a teaching method that keeps them from getting overloaded. Sailing is easy, but excellent sailing and controlling a boat in growing winds is much harder. My biggest worry is that my friends will come away believing the learning curve is too steep.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
A couple of boats I raced on were beautiful, the folks and food were great and there was plenty of beer/wine. I kept my mouth shut about sail trim and didn't care what the skipper told me to do (right or wrong and mostly wrong) -- I just did it because I wanted to stay on the boat!!
I've even tried to look attentive while someone "showed me the ropes",
"Ahh ! So that's the mainsheet, got it, thank you"

May 17, 2004
Indysailor: Whatever works for you is fine but I've taught hundreds of people how to sail by first explaining WHAT each sail trim control is adjusting. Angle of attack, draft depth and twist take me about 5 minutes -- it takes a few minutes more for draft position and sometimes I skip it entirely. I use a small model sailboat that is just a bit bigger than my hand. To me, discussing each sail trim control for the main and jib is a waste of time and is putting the cart before the horse. How does a newbie make a sound decision regarding angle of attack if he doesn't even know what it is.

Maybe I'm all wet -- what do some of you listers think??

Jul 14, 2014
Beneteau Oceanus 390 Puerto Vallarta
After going out a couple of times on San Francisco Bay, my wife bought me The Glenans Manual of Sailing, and I bought a dinghy for $400. I highly recommend the book. One of the things that Glenans recommended was just going out in reasonably safe conditions and making a few (or a lot of) mistakes. It worked for me, but after that I started taking lessons wherever and whenever I could. There is nothing like having a person more experienced than you show you the right way to do things, and give you some tips. Get on a racing crew and watch what they do. Discuss it with them. Try to understand the physics of that is happening. Read, read, read, then sail, sail, sail. I remember reading an interview with one of the top Moth sailors in the world. They asked him how he got so good. He said (I paraphrase), "Three rules: time on the water, time on the water, time on the water".