Registered users don't see ads
  1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Sailing From Kemah to Corpus Christi

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by Simon Sexton, Jan 23, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    508 posts, 224 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    Valiant US Watergate Marina, Kemah, TX
    Hey Everyone,
    Good afternoon! As some of you may know, I am currently enrolled at a community college in Tomball to earn a two-year associates degree in business. The reason I've made that decision is simply for the sake of saving money, seeing as I have to pay for college tuition and books myself. After these two years, my plan is to transfer to Texas A&M Corpus Christi; they seem to have the business program that I need, and the campus is beautiful, right on the beachfront. Not too far from the campus is Corpus Christi Marina, which gave me the idea to just sail down to Corpus and live on Valiant, paying 250 bucks monthly rather than paying 1300+ for a dorm or apartment.
    Recap on my boat stats:
    She is a Catalina 25 tall rig, fixed fin keel, transom-hung rudder. Her draft is about 4'5" when she's loaded down and has a Mercury 8hp outboard with a 6 gallon fuel tank. As of this weekend, we are having the sunbrella on our jib replaced, and having a new custom mains'l made by our local sailmaker, Banks Sails. I am also fixing any electrical issues that we're having (nav lights and breaker panel) and plan to have the hull cleaned and inspected, the running rigging cleaned/replaced, and inspect the standing rigging myself (don't trust anyone else, I have my reasons). What do you think of the idea? Too risky? Any tips or opinions help!

Will Gilmore likes this.
  2. kappykaplan

kappykaplan

Joined May 1, 2011
    909 posts, 163 likes
    Pearson 37
    US Lusby MD
    I think you should go for it! Pick your weather window and go. You probably need to consider a hurricane hole, too.

Simon Sexton likes this.
  3. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    394 posts, 155 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota
    Been there done that but not in a 25 foot boat. I lived on a Catalina 30 during community college in San Diego and loved it. Just remember it's small and you will not sail as often as you want to because of stowing your laptop, books, cloths, etc that tend to move about and not be put away with a busy school schedule.

The largest drawback was the restroom. I used the marina facilities for showers and things but this does take some getting used to and when you do get sick it becomes even more of a pain. All things being what they are I would do it all again. I lived onboard when I moved out as a sophomore in high school, met my wife in my senior year of High school and she lived onboard with me for a time while she was going to school as well. We finally moved off the boat when kids came along and it was hard to leave. In total I think it was somewhere around 11 years I had my boat at the marina and lived on it for most of that time.

Across the dock there was a good friend of mine that was a used car salesman that tried living aboard a Catalina 22 but he quickly realised it was just too small. So you will have to decide if the 25 provides what you need and then go from there.

Will Gilmore and Simon Sexton like this.
  4. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,635 posts, 585 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    Shouldn't be a problem. But check around- there are other marinas in that area that are quite close by-- Ingleside comes to mind. May wind up being cheaper.

The trip itself should not be a problem,, other than offshore will likely be all to weather. But if weather is bad,, the ICW works well. If you happen to stop in Port Lavaca, give me a yell

Simon Sexton likes this.
  5. jmce1587

jmce1587

Joined Mar 20, 2011
    331 posts, 53 likes
    Hunter 31_83-87
    US Kemah
    Hi Simon. I used to be a live aboard many moons ago and can give you some points to consider. Send me a PM and we can swap phone details. I’m in Kemah and can also introduce you to some other live aboards in my marina for other advice. Bottom line, it’s doable but you want to go in eyes wide open. Jerry

HMT2 and Simon Sexton like this.
  6. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    508 posts, 224 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    That would be awesome! I'll PM you with my number and we can keep in touch.

7. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    508 posts, 224 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Thank you for your insight!

8. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    5,748 posts, 1,342 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
  9. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,635 posts, 585 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    LOL- what dat?? I don't even have it in my house just off Lavaca Bay :)

10. Rick Webb

Rick Webb

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    2,781 posts, 163 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
    Your boat probably has more room than my first dorm room in college did at SWTSU. Some of the dorms there still do not have AC. If you're looking at it as a place to sleep while at school and can make it home most weekends I think it is a good possibility. Hopefully the marina you pick has wifi or there is a Whataburger nearby to get it. Whataburger started right there in Corpus on Ayers.

Simon Sexton and HMT2 like this.
  11. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    4,164 posts, 2,110 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    I think it is an excellent plan, Simon. You will have a car, is parking included? What are your options when and if you pull the boat for work. We were able to stay on our boat at the marineways while on the hard. No one will probably allow that any more.
    Using the marina facilities is just another "fact of life" that you get use to. You may just stop at the school's gym on the way home in the evenings.
    A 25' boat that you are already use to is a fine size. I spent a lot of years in confined quarters like that. (Besides over three years in an aft cabin with two brothers and no headroom, we also spent 4 months driving around the country in a VW camper as a family of five in the early 70s). If you are good at taking whatever life gives you in stride, you'll do fine. I do understand you are a big boy, but you're a better judge about how you'll fit.
    Get a good bimini or boom tent for all the hours you'll spend in the cockpit. If you cook for yourself, a rail mounted gas grill might be good to have. Learn your marina's rules about outside cooking, hanging of towels and clothes to dry, music and noise hours, dockside storage boxes, ... . Where is the laundrymat? Again, your school may offer that service too. One thing about living aboard, there are things you normally just do, that will now require planning ahead to do.
    Good luck. Sounds exciting.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Simon Sexton likes this.
  12. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    508 posts, 224 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    Yes, actually, portable.

rgranger likes this.
  13. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,267 posts, 1,027 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    That will be important as you try to study. Besides soggy books and shorting out your laptop, it's hard to concentrate in heat and humidity. I grew up in San Antonio.
    You mention "we" in the OP. Will there be more than one living aboard? That will be tough.
    Sounds like a cool idea all things considered.
    Edit: no pun intended

Simon Sexton likes this.
  14. Rick Webb

Rick Webb

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    2,781 posts, 163 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    If you get to that point a sun shade over as much of the boat as possible will go along way to keeping the boat cool. Anything that keeps the sun off the deck will help. This gets into a bit of an issue in some marinas as the ubiquitous blue tarp over the boom is not the aesthetic that some enjoy. It's right there next to hanging your laundry on the lifelines.

15. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    508 posts, 224 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    Ah, you see, my family (mom, dad, brother and I) own the boat as we all pitched in to buy it; 1k each. The title, however, is in my name, as I'm the one with the most experience. I also pay for the majority of the repairs, but I told mom and dad during the Christmas season that I didn't want anything on Christmas day except to be with family...if they wanted to get me something, they could help pay for a new main. ;) Last week they brought it up and said they're willing to pitch in on the repairs! Hence, "we".

Will Gilmore likes this.
  16. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    508 posts, 224 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    Yeeeaahhh, I'm gonna have to figure out some way to rig an easy-up tent, maybe a homemade one out of PVC. A friend of mine owns a Catalina 27, and lives up in Michigan; in order to keep warm, he bought a tent designed to fit on the bed of a truck and retrofitted it to the outside gunwale of the cockpit. Worked like a charm!

17. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,635 posts, 585 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    If it gives you any ideas, here's mine. In the marina in Port Lavaca. The awing over the cockpit uses jointed PVC pipes as support.
    awnings.jpg

18. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    5,748 posts, 1,342 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    bonne idée

:plus:

Simon Sexton likes this.
  19. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    5,748 posts, 1,342 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    I purchased one of these at a military surplus store
    [​IMG]

It is a tent designed to be carried by two different people. The peak snaps together and makes it very easy to connect over a boom. You can also lead a topping lift through the snaps. I used it on a MacGregor 22 I used to own. Here is a pic of it on my boat.
    Coffee Saturday Morning.jpg

20. Rick Webb

Rick Webb

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    2,781 posts, 163 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    That is actually 2. Two shelter halves brings back rotten memories. Just like the poncho not worth the hassle and weight.

HMT2 and Simon Sexton like this.

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.