Sailing and Philosophy

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Logic applied to scientific measurements. What are the conclusions about Reality?

- Will (Dragonfly)
After just reading this thread, and understanding some of it, my thoughts are, as Einstein tried to prove with his theory of relativity, and Styx wrote of in a famous song:

Life is an Illusion, and it all depends on your point of view.

Optical-Illusion-Paintings-By-Rob-Gonsalves-1.jpg

Optical-Illusion.jpg

Welcome to the Grand illusion
Come on in and see what's happening
Pay the price, get your tickets for the show
The stage is set, the band starts playing
Suddenly your heart is pounding
Wishing secretly you were a star

But don't be fooled by the radio
The TV or the magazines
They show you photographs of how your life should be
But they're just someone else's fantasy

So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because you never win the game
Just remember that it's a grand illusion
And deep inside we're all the same
We're all the same

So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because your neighbors got it made
Just remember that it's a grand illusion
And deep inside we're all the same

America spells competition, join us in our blind ambition
Get yourself a brand new motor car
Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are
(Dennis De Young, Styx, "The Grand Illusion")

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Unless you sail to compete (race), sailing offers more, to the quiet mind, for a path to understanding (enlightenment) than most other activities I can think of. Music might be the other great pursuit that offers such opportunity.
The reason, I feel, this is so is because not only is it calming, but it also requires attention while staying quiet. Attention is paid to the working ood the boat, to the sea and wind, to the relative positions of rocks, shore, other boaters, even crew. This leads to contemplation and understanding in ways that football or racing or backyard barbeques can't offer. The chance to be both quiet of mind and attentive to the moment is the goal of meditation. This is why my father named three of his boats "zafu", the Japanese word for the cushion upon which a Zen master sits in meditation.

I'm certain that many of you fellow sailors know what I'm talking about.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Unless you sail to compete (race), sailing offers more, to the quiet mind, for a path to understanding (enlightenment) than most other activities I can think of. Music might be the other great pursuit that offers such opportunity.
The reason, I feel, this is so is because not only is it calming, but it also requires attention while staying quiet. Attention is paid to the working ood the boat, to the sea and wind, to the relative positions of rocks, shore, other boaters, even crew. This leads to contemplation and understanding in ways that football or racing or backyard barbeques can't offer. The chance to be both quiet of mind and attentive to the moment is the goal of meditation. This is why my father named three of his boats "zafu", the Japanese word for the cushion upon which a Zen master sits in meditation.

- Will (Dragonfly)
My mind must be much simpler than yours. I sail because it’s fun and challenging.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My mind must be much simpler than yours. I sail because it’s fun and challenging.
We dissected frogs in high school biology class. Since my partner and I were finished before anyone else, we went and dissected the brain too. It DID look like a lot simpler version of a human brain.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
...while much of this thread is over my head (whilst sipping an adult beverage), I do believe that Will is onto something (not the frog thing, the Zen thing)!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Having just read Dan Harris' book, "10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story", I now think of sailing as my 10% happier place!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I haven't followed this whole thread,

- Will (Dragonfly)
I haven't followed this thread but I get where Will ended up. :) The first thing I notice once we're back sailing in a new season, are the sounds on the water at dawn.

The stillness anchored in a quiet area, is especially noticeable. Like sailing, rowing is another 'zone' of refuge from a noisy world.
Morning row.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Sailing is like Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs with pleasure cruising at the top.

Racing and challenge sailing (ocean crossing, circumnavigation) is just below that. In the middle is the sailing community, SBO Participation, yacht club membership. Then it is the regulatory and equipment needs, coast guard standards and safety equipment. At the first level, the bottom, you need the boat and sail in good shape and all those things that allow one to actually sail, survive, on the water.

I was always taught that Maslow preached that one must satisfy the lower needs before moving up to the next higher levels. However, I don't think that is the case. Repairing a broken rudder is working on a first level need, but often that work is satisfying and there are a lot of moments during physical labor when inner thought and self-contemplation take place. The swami who starves and deprives himself is working from the bottom of the pyramid to jump to the top. It is those upper middle needs that distract more from self-actualization. That is where new interim, more immediate goals begin to consume us. Especially when we have difficulty achieving those goals. If it was very hard gaining membership into that prestigious yacht club, suddenly that is all that is important in life. If you can't ever seen to place well in a race, racing becomes less important, etc.

I couldn't ever seem to do any of that stuff well, so I decided to skip to the end ;). Only now, I still haven't met the very first need. I'm still trying to get the time to paint my centerboard and get it back in the boat, but there is life outside of sailing for me. I think I will call that part of life, "Tartarus". For the ancient Greeks, that is where most of the metaphysical wisdom is learned, so maybe it has its benefits?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Will, at my age, I find sailing satisfies all three categories, most times simultaneously!...(exception perhaps warmth & comfort, but I'm not letting that get in the way, and there are ways around that need).

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was thinking Wed PM in our race that while sailing I achieve a level of awareness that I don't often achieve outside sailing. Maybe sometimes at work. But work is more rote. Moving a sailboat around is, in my opinion, very cerebral. And creative.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Moving a sailboat around is..........very cerebral. And creative.
Maybe that is why after cruising for 5 hours I get tired and need a nap. It is easy to nod off in the cockpit with the boat running smoothly, the wind moderate, the auto pilot serving as a helm mate.
Perhaps that’s why Navy ships captains have such cushy chairs on the bridge, and there have been rumors of snoring while resting their legs.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
there have been rumors of snoring while resting their legs.
It's not snoring from being asleep, the quiet calm just causes the larynx to relax and begin to flap loosely with the slow contemplative breathing that is so important during deep "meditation". It happens to me all the time.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I just came across this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tonehenge-built-using-Pythagoras-theorem.html
Some of these "ancient mysteries explained" people are a little off their rocker or desperate.
Is there such a thing as a rectangle that, when cut in half, doesn't form a "Pythagorean triangle"? I take it that a Pythagorean triangle is a right triangle. Maybe they are limited to right triangles that also include Pythagorean triples. A Pythagorean triple is a set of three numbers that meet the structure for the sides of a right triangle in Whole number units. There are less of those, but still a lot, an unlimited number of them, in fact. For example, the 45 degree right triangle does not ever scale to a Pythagorean triple because the square root to 1^2 + 1^2 is an Irrational number. It will always be an Irrational number no matter what your scale. However, a triangle that measures 1.1811" x 1.5748" will have a hypotenuse of 1.9685". This converts to a 3-4-5 triangle in centimeters. It is a Pythagorean triple (3, 4, 5) If your units don't work out to create a Pythagorean triple, you can often rescale it to get a Pythagorean triple: (3, 4, 5) -> (6, 8, 10) -> (9, 12, 15) etc.

Anyhow, it is no revelation to learn that the Pythagorean Theorem has been around for millenia before Pythagoras. He is only known to be the first to offer a formal proof of it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I just came across this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tonehenge-built-using-Pythagoras-theorem.html
Some of these "ancient mysteries explained" people are a little off their rocker or desperate.
Is there such a thing as a rectangle that, when cut in half, doesn't form a "Pythagorean triangle"? I take it that a Pythagorean triangle is a right triangle. Maybe they are limited to right triangles that also include Pythagorean triples. A Pythagorean triple is a set of three numbers that meet the structure for the sides of a right triangle in Whole number units. There are less of those, but still a lot, an unlimited number of them, in fact. For example, the 45 degree right triangle does not ever scale to a Pythagorean triple because the square root to 1^2 + 1^2 is an Irrational number. It will always be an Irrational number no matter what your scale. However, a triangle that measures 1.1811" x 1.5748" will have a hypotenuse of 1.9685". This converts to a 3-4-5 triangle in centimeters. It is a Pythagorean triple (3, 4, 5) If your units don't work out to create a Pythagorean triple, you can often rescale it to get a Pythagorean triple: (3, 4, 5) -> (6, 8, 10) -> (9, 12, 15) etc.

Anyhow, it is no revelation to learn that the Pythagorean Theorem has been around for millenia before Pythagoras. He is only known to be the first to offer a formal proof of it.

-Will (Dragonfly)
What the F#K? Where do you find this stuff? I'm retired and I sware I have less time on my hands then you do. You are one very interesting guy!

Oct 22, 2014
Will. I’m going to have to eat my Greek yogurt and re-read your message a couple of times to better grasp your work. I may need to break out the paper and pencil.

How much sailing have you been doing?

The right angle triangle does have application in the build of modern sloop rigged sailboats, but the angles get skewed a bit as sailors and engineers seek more efficient power.

I did recover a Zen HOUR... last evening. The local club conducted a race and my friend asked me to join his crew. I sailed with another friend who last year completed a sail from the Puget Sound to Hilo Hawaii and back. 24 days each way. So were getting the boat read and the owner says “John your skipper”. It has been 45 years since I skippered a boat in a race. Sure... It is just like riding a bike. Course was in the river, out into the bay, round a few buoys and back up the river. Wind is blowing 12 - 17. Have to finish in 2 hours. We had a great start on the far side of the line. All alone. Wind on the beam doing 6 knots in a 1984 Cal 31. We left the river ahead of the pack. I was thinking wow. But it was apparent we were over powered. The main was too much with his 155 genoa. Got passed by a newer 38 foot sloop that eventually got their gear together. We had one round in a gust an a couple of times the helm was squirrelly but we managed to maintain control of second place.

I was having a great time. It all came back, what excitement plays out when two boats come together and the crews try to out work, think, luck the other.

We finished well ahead of the pack, then the computer counters took over and started the “adjustments”. And I revisited the deflation of coming in 4th when you know you did better than that. But it did not affect the experience I enjoyed being with friends, trimming sails, trying for that extra 1/10 of a knot out of the boat.

Being in the moment. And that beer together at the finish.

Oct 22, 2014
Will, you being a Math teacher and not wanting to start a new thread, I thought I would post this opinion piece here where the philosophical elements of the Firing of a Math Teacher could be discussed.