Sailing along Martha's Vinyard southern shore

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
Warming myself in the glow of Opan CPN on my tablet, I am thinking about potential trips if this crazy weather ever breaks.

From Buzzards Bay, I always cut through the holes in the Elizabeth Islands and then sail up Vineyard Sound to my favorite harbors.

I am thinking it would interesting to sail along the southern coast and then through the Muskeget Channel and then to Edgartown.

It would have to be planned to catch a fair tide through the channel because of the strong currents.

There is also what appears to be a break in the shoals maybe a mile off Wasque Point that would cut quite a few miles of the trip.

I am hoping someone with more local knowledge than I can tell me if that is practical. I have spent enough time on those beaches to know there are not a many sailboats
off that shore.

Thanks for the information.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Not sure why you'd want to do that. Your adding a lot more distance to the trip. I haven't seen many boats pass through there. I know the surf on South Beach can be steep and the shoals shift around with the currents and wind it can create some nasty waves. There is nothing of interest on the south side unless your interested in fishing and it's a long way back if it gets messy. The prevailing winds are SW and you're exposed. I'd stick with Quicks Hole, Woods Hole or straight up Vineyard Sound.

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
Thanks for the reply, Bob S.
I agree with everything you say, still it's very unlikely that I will ever take a long-distance cruise, but this route allows me to build a little adventure into a trip I've made dozens of time.
I have decided i will sail out to the beginning of Muskeget Channel rather than taking the questionable shortcut through Wasque Shoals, unless I hear from someone who can affirm that it is currently navigable.