sailing after a heart attack

Mar 31, 2017
Hunter 31 31 Lake George ny
I had a triple bypass at age 42. recovered and went back to work. Six months later had two stents, three months after that one more stent. At 51 I work, I hike and yes I sail. I look at it like this, I am better off than someone who has never had anything done. I know what the signs feel like, I am aware of my limits and I carry medication to get me out of a mess. When I hike I carry a GPS locator my wife bought for me.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
[QUOTE="Hunter 31, post: 1397807, member: 137614" I look at it like this, I am better off than someone who has never had anything done. I know what the signs feel like, I am aware of my limits and I carry medication to get me out of a mess. [/QUOTE]
So true. About 8 months after my 5 way bypass I scheduled a 4 day 3 night Grand Canyon white water rafting trip with my son on the Colorado River. When I filled out their form and said I had had a heart attack and bypass surgery they weren't going to let me go. My cardiologist wrote a letter that said I was much less likely to suffer a heart attack than an average 48 year old who had no idea what his arteries looked like. I had be "re-plumbed" and there should be no problem with me going on this trip. I did carry nitro and still do but have never had to use it in 18 or so years since my bypass.

Jun 14, 2012
oday 272LE Lake Petenwell
I've had three cardiac incidents, with four stents among them. The last was about twelve years ago and I've never quit sailing. My wife is not crew, she's a passenger and doesn't go out with me when it's snotty. I sail single-handed 90% of the time, on a large lake. I'm 73 years old and judiciously choose when and how I sail. A contemporary of mine once said "We didn't live this long to die because we did something stupid!"
Best of luck to you
We'll know when it's time to quit!

Mar 31, 2017
Hunter 31 31 Lake George ny
I knew on old farmer. His wife was waiting and waiting for him to come in from cutting hay. She decided to go out to the field to check on him. She stood there watching the tractor go in circles. He had a heart attack doing what he loved.
I hope my auto pilot doesn't sail me too far away...

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Took the boat out last weekend, felt great to be on the water.
Thank you all, shock is still there, but I'm making changes, hopefully that will stave off another morning like the 23rd