Registered users don't see ads

sailing aeolus - 1966 caravelle yawl

Discussion in 'Alden General Chat' started by jon hansen, May 30, 2012. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. TaborKP!

TaborKP!

Joined May 4, 2015
    61 posts, 24 likes
    Jon, looks like you have 4 jib halyards is that correct? Did you retrofit an updated headbox on your mast to accomadate them, or just mount blocks.

2. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,547 posts, 1,078 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    i have not changed the mast head in any way. there are three shives, middle one for main, two outside wheels for two different length jib halyards (wire to rope). my club footed jib and my storm jib are much shorter than all the gennies. then the other two halyards you see are for the spinnakers. there are two prongs that come off the head the have blocks for such. we never rigged the second until we started racing the 'mac' races in the 90's. if we dropped the halyard during during the race we had no recourse. there is absolutely no reason to have the second spinnaker halyard still rigged for the last 15 yrs but there it still is. my bad :(

3. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,313 posts, 3,468 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Thanks Tom. I like the modifications. I am looking to be able to do such post image modifications when it will improve the image. I have been limited to the image I take.

4. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,628 posts, 1,497 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    When you shoot in jpeg, the camera post processes the image automatically as well as compresses the file size(0-2MB file).

The result is usually great especially for posting online. A simple photo program like Apple Preview - that can size the image - can also tweak the light levels and saturation to make a big improvement to a poorly lit jpeg shot.

I shoot in RAW setting on the camera. RAW images have all the original image data in every pixel(20-30MB files). Without processing, RAW images look 'half baked', lifeless.

Sort of like shooting in jpeg is sending your 35mm film out for processing at the drug store. Shooting in RAW is more like processing your film in your own darkroom.

jssailem likes this.
  5. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,547 posts, 1,078 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
  6. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,547 posts, 1,078 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
  7. TaborKP!

TaborKP!

Joined May 4, 2015
    61 posts, 24 likes
    Awesome pic! love it!

jon hansen likes this.
  8. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,547 posts, 1,078 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now