Registered users don't see ads

sailing aeolus - 1966 caravelle yawl

Discussion in 'Alden General Chat' started by jon hansen, May 30, 2012. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. TaborKP!

TaborKP!

Joined May 4, 2015
    61 posts, 24 likes
    Jon, looks like you have 4 jib halyards is that correct? Did you retrofit an updated headbox on your mast to accomadate them, or just mount blocks.

2. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,803 posts, 1,400 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    i have not changed the mast head in any way. there are three shives, middle one for main, two outside wheels for two different length jib halyards (wire to rope). my club footed jib and my storm jib are much shorter than all the gennies. then the other two halyards you see are for the spinnakers. there are two prongs that come off the head the have blocks for such. we never rigged the second until we started racing the 'mac' races in the 90's. if we dropped the halyard during during the race we had no recourse. there is absolutely no reason to have the second spinnaker halyard still rigged for the last 15 yrs but there it still is. my bad :(

3. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,754 posts, 3,750 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Thanks Tom. I like the modifications. I am looking to be able to do such post image modifications when it will improve the image. I have been limited to the image I take.

4. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,676 posts, 1,582 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    When you shoot in jpeg, the camera post processes the image automatically as well as compresses the file size(0-2MB file).

The result is usually great especially for posting online. A simple photo program like Apple Preview - that can size the image - can also tweak the light levels and saturation to make a big improvement to a poorly lit jpeg shot.

I shoot in RAW setting on the camera. RAW images have all the original image data in every pixel(20-30MB files). Without processing, RAW images look 'half baked', lifeless.

Sort of like shooting in jpeg is sending your 35mm film out for processing at the drug store. Shooting in RAW is more like processing your film in your own darkroom.

jssailem likes this.
  5. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,803 posts, 1,400 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
  6. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,803 posts, 1,400 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
  7. TaborKP!

TaborKP!

Joined May 4, 2015
    61 posts, 24 likes
    Awesome pic! love it!

jon hansen likes this.
  8. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,803 posts, 1,400 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
  9. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,803 posts, 1,400 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    i have no reef points on any of my mains. the boom has a roller boom from that era, never used it. in theory all the mains can be rolled on the boom, never have done so.
    i try and use the sails to make the boat a weather vain. in a blow i'll drop the main and leave a jib up and balance the rig with the mizzen going upwind. my #1 (155) is built to 24 mph wind, my #2 (140) to 32 mph, my #3 (110) is built to 60 mph, my club footed jib (80) is good to 40 mph. by being a split rig the main mast is two feet forward of a sloop rigged caravelle. this helps to keep the bow down naturally when off the wind. off the wind my 3/4oz spin is good to 20 mph and "big blue" my bullit proof 1 1/2 oz has been sailed at the 40 knots of wind range quite a few times and has not blown. i have had the boat start to oscillate with big blue up in huge breezes. like a flag flapping back and forth as the wind trys to get around the rig. then we move the spinnaker pole forward too hide part of the sail behind the main to effectively reduce projected sail area. in 45 seasons i have never broached aeolus. i've never had blue water over the bow.

thankyou Mr. Alden :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    TomY and Will Gilmore like this.
  10. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,803 posts, 1,400 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    aeolus was designed and set up to be sailed by a crew. in the modern era we never modernized the boat to sail shorthanded. we prefer a crew on board. with the work of hand sailing a vessel set up like this the crew are quite busy. the work is the entertainment. newbe's are immediately indoctrinated to the workings of this old boat. we sail aeolus like a hotrod pilot flys a stunt biplane. we swoop past every one and every thing. i have lots of local crew and family that will always go sailing. after 45 seasons both the boat and i have a reputation for taking everyone and going everywhere. i'm always looking for more crew. fresh ears for old stories if you will. aeolus is a wonderful sailing machine.

TomY and Will Gilmore like this.
  11. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,803 posts, 1,400 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    when we tack we always backwind the jib first then have a crewman 'walk the sail across to clear the rig. sails last a lot longer i think. those big racing sails are a hoot to sail with so we take great care of them. "sails are expensive and tape is cheap" i over tape everything around the rig.

TomY likes this.
  12. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,803 posts, 1,400 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
  13. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,754 posts, 3,750 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    She sounds like a wonderful boat. I only hope I can get up near your neck of the woods when you have her in the water. Would love to see her sailing. Would really love to crew on her. But need the stars to align.

jon hansen likes this.
  14. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,676 posts, 1,582 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    I was onboard Scott Krafts Caravelle in Stonington Conn. last season, and I think I remember the mainmast in the saloon. His is sloop rigged.

Yet the drawing Jon posted, a sloop rigged Caravelle, shows the main mast tucked up forward of Scotts. Solve the mystery for me Jon.

15. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,803 posts, 1,400 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    those drawings show a chart desk setup with seat and the main salon benches are staggard, that was an option. i do not have that. the sloops have the mast in the salon. my yawl has the mast in the head. my forward door might be narrower as well. in 45 years i have never seen another caravelle.
    a seventh bunk/pilot berth was an option that went behind the ice box and under the cockpit. with the table out of aeolus we can use the sole as extra berth.

TomY likes this.

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.