Sailboat Beauty Pageant

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful sailboat of the fiberglass era?

Forget cost, ignore practicality, and never mind if it's afloat today or not. All we ask is that you:

- Post a photo

- Identify the brand/model/year

- OR if its a one-off boat, the boat's name (and maybe the designer, too.)

We promise not to ask any questions about world peace.

pageant.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My soul stirs when I see a Cal 40.
A FRP boat that set the stage for going fast.
"The first of the ultra-light, production ocean racers, the Cal 40 was inspired by ocean racing legend, George Griffith, of the Los Angeles Yacht Club, and was purportedly first sketched by him in 1962 on the back of a cocktail napkin. Following Griffith's inspiration, the Cal 40 was designed by the prolific and ground-breaking naval architect, C. William "Bill" Lapworth and was lofted by Willis Boyd. A major undertaking for its time and radically different from other production racing sailboats with its fin keel separated from a spade rudder mounted well aft, the Cal 40 continues to rack up an impressive string of ocean racing victories more than four decades after its initial launch, winning major competitions such as the Newport-Bermuda Race as recently as 2008. Among other ocean racing classics, Cal 40s still compete as a class in the Transpac from Los Angeles to Honolulu and in 2005 recorded 14 entries, more than any other production sailboat at any time in the century-long history of this, America's longest-running ocean yacht race." from Cal40.com with excerpts from “The Great American Yacht Designers”, Bill Robinson
upload_2019-7-8_9-38-36.jpeg

upload_2019-7-8_9-39-5.jpeg

upload_2019-7-8_9-39-23.jpeg

I followed the rescue and restoration of Sequoia by Berkeley Marina. It was a real feat. I am sure it was a labor of love by Frank Cook, owner. Restoration started in 2015 when Frank received a "free boat" and culminated in 2017 racing her in the TransPac. The story goes that they flipped the boat upside down to correct damage and restore her to her original lines. I was fortunate to visit the marina in 2016 and got to see her in that upside down cradle. Even visited with Cree (the marina owner) who gave me a tour of the inverted hull and shared with me the work his team was doing to give this boat a new life.
See the restoration process at this link. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvD5qlROxJu3r8aIu4JitzFHsqu1pxDAO

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
Gozzard 37

I have always told the wife that this would be our "Lotto" boat.

I mostly just love the lines and the interior wood work is amazing as well. (no clue how she sails)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Not exactly what Phil asked, but if you took a few dozen of the most popular fiberglass sailboats ever produced, asked a broad group of sailors to look them over and pick the prettiest design, I'd wager that they would pick the Hinckley Bermuda 40.

Hinckley B40 Cabot Cove (1 of 1).jpg

It's not my first choice, but close. :)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
we all do love these boats, the pics are great, but the boat really does not matter, it's the crew!
with a great crew, i can have fun on any boat :)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

exploring the north cannel mode. flags correct, bean bag chairs to ride the bow, lantern hung above the taff rail, trash ready to disembark, dingy and crew off exploring, captain alone time,

Last edited: