Sail ties?

D7764

Jul 1, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Drive way
I have a Hunter 18.5. I have yet to sail her and as I was practicing in the driveway, I noticed that there are straps on the sail that look like they either hold the batans? in or attach to a back stay (which I don't think I have) or both. But three out of four are tattered or ripped off. How can I fix them, and do I need them?
Please and Thank you.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If you have batten pockets where they are, those are the straps that would hold the battens in the pockets. Normally the straps secure the ends of the battens using Velcro or tied with thin polyester lines for lashing. You need to buy the missing battens cut to size, and repair-replace the straps and lashing or Velcro.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
There are a number of ways to hold battens in pockets. You can use Velcro, snaps, Tie Strings, inner elastic with outer pocket, permanent stitching, etc.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Your also may be talking about thelight weight nylon tell tails which help with showing how the air is flowing over the sail.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have a Hunter 18.5. I have yet to sail her and as I was practicing in the driveway, I noticed that there are straps on the sail that look like they either hold the batans? in or attach to a back stay (which I don't think I have) or both. But three out of four are tattered or ripped off. How can I fix them, and do I need them?
Please and Thank you.
As you can tell from the several comments it can be confusing for us folk who are not there to see exactly what you are trying to describe. How about using this great feature. A picture. Take it and up load it using the convenient “UpLoad a File” tab.

We can give you much better answers to your question.

D7764

Jul 1, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Drive way
Only one of the four are intact. I can see that hold the bath and, but what about the rope that dangles from the top of the mast?
Do I have to sew on new straps or can I use glue?
P_20190611_190601.jpg P_20190611_190547.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Some pockets are stitched in such a way that the batten slides in and when fully inserted then slides downward to fit snugly in the pocket.

How big of boat? Different sails have different ways of securing the battens.

D7764

Jul 1, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Drive way
It is 18.5' long. The straps are sewn, and the battans have loops on the ends. I plan going out this weekend, maybe without battans and then work replacing the straps. Thanks for the help.

Oct 22, 2014
Pleasure. You can sail with out the batten but it will eventually wear out the leach of your sail. The battens stiffen the edge of the sail. The sail leach will flutter. The battens stop the flutter from wearing down the threads. You might consider seeking help from a loft if your having trouble.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The last 18.5 if recalling correctly was built in 1991 being a wing keel. One question. Is the main original and if so a new sail. Never did like the attachment of the sail slides with Velcro that often became unattached. Use to send out mainsail for grommets installed along the sail with shackles attached to sail slides or if in bad shape a new sail. Use to be a dealer
Suggest taking care of that issue before sailing.

D7764

Jul 1, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Drive way
My boat is from 1989 and I got it last summer so I don't know about the age of the sails. I am on a smaller lake and just want to get out there. Is there a sail maker around Birmingham?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
D7764, keep it simple so you can get out there. Most install battens at the beginning of the season, removing them only for storage. Take a needle and heavy thread, sew the grey webbing strap pieces together once you have the batten in place. Sew just the strap if you can versus through the sailcloth. If you have to sew through the sailcloth, that will be ok. Then you can then fix when you have time. The fix involves removing the webbing that is damaged, sewing on a new piece with the buckle I recommend sailing with the battens in. The battens support the positive roach in your mainsail, keeping the leech from folding down on itself.