Sail Ties ... Just curious

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
What I like about the flat webbing with a loop on the end is, it's easy to capture our flaked main, loosely - first cradled in the lazy jacks.

Then once you move the lazy jacks to the mast (as ours are), the main flakes fall nicely on the boom. Then you can easily pull the end, an un-slip the simple slip knot in the loop, tighten the ties a bit(not too much), and re-tie.

On goes the sail cover.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looking back over this thread it seems those who own larger boats, above 27' prefer flat web for sail ties and those with smaller boats use different methods.

Using any kind of bungee device while wrestling with several hundred square feet of sail is neither quick nor easy. Webbing with a loop is much easier to use. When flaking the main on my boat we use the better part of a 6' sail tie. With a sail tie the sail can be secured with one hand. One arm goes over the sail and boom, the other secures the sail tie.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Don't like getting snapped in the face with bungee's! Webbed sail ties with a loop work best for me because I like to make 2 or 3 turns around the sail, slightly spread out to capture the bundle. The loop is the easiest way to pass the tail end thru and secure quickly. Making them is fine, but seriously, if I've had a set of 3 for the past 10 years or so (for some reason they just don't get lost - probably the only sailboat item I've never lost!), do I really need to worry about the few dollars they cost (they may have even been free at the boat show)?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Mine came with the new sails I bought a couple years ago. If I was in need of new sail ties, personally, I would just buy them on line. Yes, they’ll cost more, but I have zero sewing skills or equipment.
One of the biggest considerations one has when contemplating buying something online when one lives aboard in the Caribbean, is shipping and time. This can drastically change the cost of even the cheapest item. A $34.00 item just cost me $105.00 shipped to Trinidad. Sometimes it's just easier, quicker and cheaper and get out the old sail sewing bag and stitch something together. lol

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Wow. Who knew that there would be so much debate! I am trying to get away from bungie-type cords. In this regard, how tight should the sail ties be? The bungies, in addition to the possibility of putting an eye out, tend to be pretty tight.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Wow. Who knew that there would be so much debate! I am trying to get away from bungie-type cords. In this regard, how tight should the sail ties be? The bungies, in addition to the possibility of putting an eye out, tend to be pretty tight.
Tight enough to keep the sail in place and fit in the sail cover, loose enough to not put creases in the fabric. Eventually the fabric will get pretty soft so it will compress a lot. If it is hard to tell if there is a sail under the sail cover, it is time for a new sail.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
On my "small-ish" B235, I had 4 sail ties, web and flat. They were red-yellow-blue-green, and each one a different length to fit the bundled sail. One end was a male snap, the other end, female. As I took them off, they snapped end-to-end. By the time all 4 were together, you could let one end go and it would stream back to the cockpit where someone would grab it and take it in.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Tight enough to keep the sail in place and fit in the sail cover, loose enough to not put creases in the fabric. Eventually the fabric will get pretty soft so it will compress a lot. If it is hard to tell if there is a sail under the sail cover, it is time for a new sail.
(yes, I have a sail cover)

Not too loose, not too tight .... temperature must be just right ....

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
31 seahorse, the bungie centipede is commercially available and works like a charm especially if you singlehand all the time.
centipede sail ties.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I just use small lengths of 1/2" line (unless your boat is new to you, one eventually ends up finding lengths of line), cut to length and burn the ends. Tie in a simple bowline knot to make a loop, run the end thru the loop and tuck it. Easy on, easy off.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Don't like getting snapped in the face with bungee's! Webbed sail ties with a loop work best for me because I like to make 2 or 3 turns around the sail, slightly spread out to capture the bundle. The loop is the easiest way to pass the tail end thru and secure quickly. Making them is fine, but seriously, if I've had a set of 3 for the past 10 years or so (for some reason they just don't get lost - probably the only sailboat item I've never lost!), do I really need to worry about the few dollars they cost (they may have even been free at the boat show)?
I make them in the evening while watching TV. In my sail/rigging repair bag, I have a sail needle, waxed thread, and a palm. And a hand stitcher (1/2 the cost at REI vs WM) that I'll use sometimes use to practice. Takes about 5 minutes per, if that.

We use 5 on the mainsail and probably have 10 on the boat. When racing you can never have too many at the ready. And somehow we seem to lose 1 or 2 every season.

Nov 8, 2010
31 seahorse, the bungie centipede is commercially available and works like a charm especially if you singlehand all the time.
I've seen someone chip a tooth on one of those things. Anything bungee is no good. If they snap back they always seem to hit you in the mouth, or in the eye.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Don't like getting snapped in the face with bungee's!
I had a bungee break loose once, snap back and hit me in the face. It split my upper lip all the way through and broke my upper front tooth just below the gum line. Holy hell did that hurt. Getting the lidocaine injected in my upper lip was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I should have let them use the gel to numb it a bit before the injections, but I just wanted to get out of the emergency room.

I had to go a couple of weeks without a front tooth while a temporary was made, which I used until I got an implant. During that two weeks I was on a fishing trip in Canada with a bunch of guys. Needless to say, they had great fun at my expense!

So yeah, I'm a bit leery of bungee cords.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Everyone has their own choice to make.

However, one of the MOST disconcerting things to me on my boat (including the mirror!:)) is something that moves inconsistently. Those flapping pieces of plastic would drive me bonkers - further than I am already. :)

Your boat, your choice. :)

This wouldn't be one of mine.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Thanks jacktar, I just couldn't resist making several myself...….even to the point of cutting dowels to about 2 inches, drilling them, and inserting the bungy cord through the hole in the middle. I still have a bag of parts for the next set. RE: all the posts about snapping bands and whacking in the face/mouth.....'bin there, done that! I just wanted a project at that time. Mostly used sail ties.

I noticed that no one mentioned the nylon ties with the Velcro strips. I have a set of those for the Celebrity when it is ready for the water next spring. They are different lengths, so I will need to number them to keep them in order.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks jacktar, I just couldn't resist making several myself...….even to the point of cutting dowels to about 2 inches, drilling them, and inserting the bungy cord through the hole in the middle. I still have a bag of parts for the next set. RE: all the posts about snapping bands and whacking in the face/mouth.....'bin there, done that! I just wanted a project at that time. Mostly used sail ties.

I noticed that no one mentioned the nylon ties with the Velcro strips. I have a set of those for the Celebrity when it is ready for the water next spring. They are different lengths, so I will need to number them to keep them in order.
No problem.

Regarding velcro straps, they are not infinitely sizable, requiring you use the correct size one in each position. A pain. Most are not UV protected and will get eaten up by the sun. And they are simply not as versatile. You can use a true sail-tie for 100s of uses on a boat.