Sail Ties ... Just curious

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
I have a Catalina 22 MKII. I am currently using bungie cords as sail ties. Just out of curiosity, what do youse guys use?
cec

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Jackdaw,
I was considering that very approach myself ... thanks!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Same here, 1" wide nylon strap but I used a snap fitting on the strap.. Works fine.. I use 4 on a 12 foot boom

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Nylon webbing. When you make a loop at the end, give the webbing a half-twist. This opens the loop up to make it easier to thread the end through it.

If you have the tools to install grommets, use a grommet to make the loop instead of sewing; faster, easier, more secure.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm also of the nylon webbing crowd, but they used to come free with new sails or repairs. Now, with all the roller furling sails, they are getting in short supply on our boat, so I guess we'll have to make some up soon.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I'm also of the nylon webbing crowd, but they used to come free with new sails or repairs. Now, with all the roller furling sails, they are getting in short supply on our boat, so I guess we'll have to make some up soon.
Mine came with the new sails I bought a couple years ago. If I was in need of new sail ties, personally, I would just buy them on line. Yes, they’ll cost more, but I have zero sewing skills or equipment.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Nylon webbing. When you make a loop at the end, give the webbing a half-twist. This opens the loop up to make it easier to thread the end through it.
:plus:

With or without loops, but this is a great idea.

We have both 1" webbing in various lengths from about 4' to about 7', plus we have some bungies.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I use these for the past few months. Faster and easier then ties.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sigman-11-in-Tarp-Ball-Bungee-25-Pack-BB11B/203217331
Nope.... not recommended. They are dangerous and have a tendency to snap off like a sling shot... if they don't hit someone they'll go overboard. Ask me how I know... heh, heh.:clap:

Second comment... a straight flat piece of webbing with NO loop works fine and can be used for many other tasks. (Tie it with a slip knot ... like your shoelaces.) John Rousmaniere (Annapolis Book of Seamanship) recommend all crew carry one or two in their pocket when on deck.... along with a single handed knife with a shackle key, on a lanyard.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Nope.... not recommended. They are dangerous and have a tendency to snap off like a sling shot... if they don't hit someone they'll go overboard. Ask me how I know... heh, heh.:clap:
+1, I got smacked in the face a few times, lost a TON of them overboard, and the few that remained didn't last long.

Since then I just use pre-cut pieces of small diameter double braid, tied in a quick-release knot.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
You guys are fancy. I just use retired halyard line, cut to length and dip-whip the ends. Tie in a simple square knot.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
If you go the webbing route, (as from REI), I think you'll appreciate the "tubular webbing" as an alternative to the flat webbing, (it has a softer hand). Twist one half turn of the end prior to tying a simple overhand knot to make a loop of whatever size you like that will stay "open" for threading the tail through.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You guys are fancy. I just use retired halyard line, cut to length and dip-whip the ends. Tie in a simple square knot.
Two reasons why this is not so great. First, now it looks just like another piece of line. Brightly colored webbing is easily recognizable when you need one in a hurry. Handy when your boat has dozens of lines. Second, being flat makes it one less thing that you’re likely to step on and role underneath your feet.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
+1 on Winslow Homer painting! Breezing Up......We named our Oday 272 Breezin' Up - great boat. Furthermore, three friends and I occupied nearly those exact positions while sailing her on Charlotte Harbor, FL a few years ago.

RE: sail ties.....In the past I have made bungy cord "caterpillars" for several of our boats. They attach under the boom from the mast to the boom end. They are always where when you need them. Down side: (1) some have snapped as mentioned in other posts, but they do not fly away because the individual bungy cords are clamped to the main part, and (2) the individual cords do hang down below the boom when they are unclipped. They can get entangled with the main sheet if mid-boom sheeting is employed.

Currently, (well, before we sold MARA in July) we used plain sail ties with a loop in one end. We used a slippery half hitch to fasten the ties around the lowered sail.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Two reasons why this is not so great. First, now it looks just like another piece of line. Brightly colored webbing is easily recognizable when you need one in a hurry. Handy when your boat has dozens of lines. Second, being flat makes it one less thing that you’re likely to step on and role underneath your feet.
And one reason why it is great- Free.