Sail my hunter legend around the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2009
2 hunter legend 37.5 victoria
thought i would ask peoples opinions on if my hunter 37.5 legend would be capable of sailing around the world? she is in great shape, but i am not sure if it would be safe to take her off the coast. I am located in the pacific north west area and would love to sail down the coast to panama or perhaps over to hawaii. Will she make it in one piece or would it be a very hard sail over? should i sell her for a more suitable blue water vessel? i am concerned with the large cabin and large berths. I am also very concerned about the keel being so small and not a full bodied keel. any suggestions? I have limited sail options available and was thinking of purchasing a storm sail that attaches to my head sail. good idea or no?

G

If she is a stock 37.5, no. She will need several modifications before you can take her on an ocean voyage. There are several good books in and out of print that will provide you with the minimum modifications. Find them and study their contents. The list is long, much longer than my post.

First and foremost, will this be a solo voyage?
Second, how old is the boat, rigging, sails, etc.?

All else being equal, the 37.5 is perfectly capable of the voyage you say you yearn. Hull, rudder, keel have the design and strength to handle such a voyage, but the rest requires your knowledge to make the modifications you need as a solo sailor to handle any anticipated conditions you will likely encounter.

A consideration for storm sail tactics would be a four reef point main rather than a hanked-on storm head sail. No need to crawl up to the bow, just reef down until you reach the favored storm sail conditions from the safety of the cockpit.

Terry Cox

P.S. Disclaimer ... I've never sailed off shore, but have several thousand cruising miles in PNW protected waters. Knowledge is your best friend.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Live the dream

Well bigrock, the question is not is the boat capable. The question is are you (and your crew) capable. Folks have been going down to the sea in boats and making amazing trips all the time. Folks have also been killing themselves doing the same. It aint the size of the boat under the man, it's the size of the man in the boat.
If you do your homework you should be fine. I'd recommend boning up on weather forecasting and something like a weather fax.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
replace your standing rigging and running rigging. Replace auto-pilot and add windvang. Replace all pumps, hoses, and clamps. Put in a very big (the biggest that will fit) bildge pump with a high water alarm. Add wind generator and solor panel(s). Radar wouldn't hurt but not a neccessity. After that, have the boat surveyed by a top notch surveyer who knows you plan on crossing an ocean and make sure he really inspects the steering.

Learn about heavy weather tactics, learn about weather windows and regional weather of different parts of the world, read about other's adventures, learn how to outfit and provision a boat. After fixing everything on the boat that the surveyor found, you'll be set to go and the boat will be very capable.

But if you aren't the right man for the job and don't do these things, then you may end up wishing you never went and you and boat may not make it back.

Aug 8, 2009
Re: 37.5

thanks for the feed back. my hunter is a 1991 in mint condition. i have been struggling with whether to purchase a westsail or hans christian. but i love my boat so much., my biggest concern before i put more upgrades in was the keel not being a full bodied keel, and if the standing rigging would be suitable. i am concerned about the massive space below,. a large galley, large berths and lack of fuel and water storage.

Aug 8, 2009
Re: 37.5

makes sense to put a 4 pont reef system. you are right then i can stay in the cock pit and reef from there. much safer. i will have to add solar and wind power. as well as a wind vane. i will also have to replace my standing rigging. my sails are new so no problem there. my main concern was the stability of the boat in high seas.
i am planning a few test voyages such as a circumnavigation around vancouver island.

G

There are several good books on blue water voyages. One that I recommend is, "A Voyager's Handbook"', by Beth Leonard. Study it and others to help you become mentally prepared for what you intend to undertake. Circumnavigating Vancouver Island is a good first step.

Karen Thorndike was the first woman to solo a sloop around the world (late '90s) that was equipped with a wind vane, a 32 gallon fresh water tank and a good communications system. She had no wind generator or solar panels that I recall, but all of these help. Her longest leg between ports was 90+ days. I attended two of her seminars and talked to her about the experience...a life time achievement.

Terry Cox

G

Voyager

A follow-up note to one of your earlier points regarding your new sails. There are three basic types; OEM, coastal and off shore. What type are yours?

Off shore sails use heavier duty construction and materials in order to withstand the rigors of severe weather. Triple stitched zig-zag in all seams, alloy headboards, webbing reinforced corner rings, webbed on slides, etc. Most likely you have coastal sails set up with two reef points, but a sail loft can confirm this.

Terry Cox

R

riced2485

Anything is possible

I have a 1992 H35.5 and the origianal owner ran it in the Vic Maui race so anything is possible.
Other 35.5,s have also ran in offshore races and some have done quite well.
These boats were relatively new at the time and therefore some of the things mentioned such as rigging would possibly need replacement or upgrading.
My biggest concern would be the rudder and I would have it removed, inspected and reinstalled as a priority.
The stock boats don't have a lot of fuel or water capacity so there would be modifications required.
Friends of ours have a proper offshore boat and have made it down to Mexico where they winter. The comment he has made is that the majority of the boats he sees down there are production boats such as Hunters, Catalinas and Beneteau's.
Of course around the world is different than coastal cruising in Mexico.

Sep 21, 2006
-Hunter 35.5 Washington, NC
Talked to a Brit (former Royal Navy guy) who has spent his retirement coming to the US buying boats, (a lot of Hunters, according to him) and sailing them back to England to sell. When I questioned the wisdom of sailing Hunters, which are designed for inland and coastal waters, offshore he said that in his 20 or more passages he's seen boats in the middle of the Atlantic that people around here wouldn't sail across the Pamlico sound. Basically he said if the skipper is competent and the boat outfitted properly no problem.

Aug 8, 2009
I have a 1992 H35.5 and the origianal owner ran it in the Vic Maui race so anything is possible.
Other 35.5,s have also ran in offshore races and some have done quite well.
These boats were relatively new at the time and therefore some of the things mentioned such as rigging would possibly need replacement or upgrading.
My biggest concern would be the rudder and I would have it removed, inspected and reinstalled as a priority.
The stock boats don't have a lot of fuel or water capacity so there would be modifications required.
Friends of ours have a proper offshore boat and have made it down to Mexico where they winter. The comment he has made is that the majority of the boats he sees down there are production boats such as Hunters, Catalinas and Beneteau's.
Of course around the world is different than coastal cruising in Mexico.
thanks for the insight.
my hunter is in great shape. new running and all new rigging. my concern was the boat its self. being a coastal cruiser with a large saloon and large berths. i was concerned about the keel and the ridder being too small. i know i will need about $20,000 in upgrades. radar chart ploter saftey gear and more canvas. as well as may more items. i was mainly concerned about the performance of the boat its self in huge swells and strong winds. i do have new sails all coastal . i also have a spare set. i will put in 4 point reefing and perhaps add an asymmetrical spinaker and possible a drifter.
i plan my first blue water trip around vancouver island. for a test run. then down the coast of california and on to mexico. then across to hawaii.
i wanted to make sure that after all these upgrades the hunter will be able to do the job.

H

Hooligan6a

Offshore

thanks for the insight.
my hunter is in great shape. new running and all new rigging. my concern was the boat its self. being a coastal cruiser with a large saloon and large berths. i was concerned about the keel and the ridder being too small. i know i will need about $20,000 in upgrades. radar chart ploter saftey gear and more canvas. as well as may more items. i was mainly concerned about the performance of the boat its self in huge swells and strong winds. i do have new sails all coastal . i also have a spare set. i will put in 4 point reefing and perhaps add an asymmetrical spinaker and possible a drifter.
i plan my first blue water trip around vancouver island. for a test run. then down the coast of california and on to mexico. then across to hawaii.
i wanted to make sure that after all these upgrades the hunter will be able to do the job.
Bigrock, I have sailed a Islander 24 a Cal 25 and a Cascade 29 from San Diego to Hawaii. I also sailed the Cascade around the world so you should be able to sail your Hunter offshore. One word of advice I have heard of Hunters losing their rudders. I would call Hunter and find out what you can do about that. Also if you are going to sail solo or shorthanded I would not trust an autopilot and would get a Monitor Windvane.

Aug 8, 2009
Bigrock, I have sailed a Islander 24 a Cal 25 and a Cascade 29 from San Diego to Hawaii. I also sailed the Cascade around the world so you should be able to sail your Hunter offshore. One word of advice I have heard of Hunters losing their rudders. I would call Hunter and find out what you can do about that. Also if you are going to sail solo or shorthanded I would not trust an autopilot and would get a Monitor Windvane.
thanks for the advise. i would for sure get a monitor wind vane. i dont trust my autopilot and the drain on the batteries is way too much for a long journey. i am will check into the rudder thing in september i am hauling it out to replace the cutless berring and to clean the bottom etc. so i will check the condition of the rudder. i have heard this about hunters before and i wonder why they would prone to have this sort of problem. i guess not strong enough for big seas? hummm thanks again,. it is reassuring to know that you have sailed cal off shore to hawaii. sail safe my friend

G

Hunter rudder

All boat rudders are susceptible to damage or loss. To say that Hunter rudders are prone to being lost without supporting evidence is being a bit disingenuous. As the poster suggested contact Hunter, find out how many 37.5 rudders have been lost out of how many in production and report back so that we can dispel another false rumor.

Terry Cox

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The "lost rudder" concern is very limited to certain boats made in the past few years which were fitted with a composite rudder shaft - it was the shaft which was the issue rather than the rudder and this is not a problem with the 37.5s which are among the best boats Hunter ever designed.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Emergency Rudder and Wind Vane

I don't have the time to look right now, but I know there is one maker who's vane seconds as an emergency rudder. In fact, they market an emergency rudder version. My recollection is that it is similar to the one Hunter offers. I believe they advertise in the back of Lats and Atts. I was looking into one when I was contemplating some extended offshore cruising and think it is an attractive option (after a good rudder inspection including considering x-ray).

Status
Not open for further replies.