Sail Lofts

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Getting ready to replace my main. It was bought used but in very good shape years ago. Getting a bit stretched and soft at this point but still serviceable. Thinking about having a new one built. Questions are: What should I look for in a loft? What questions should I be asking? What would send up a red flag? I don't mind paying for quality workmanship but would like to go into this with my eyes open. I'm in the Tampa / St.Pete area so if anyone has worked with a loft here that they would recommend that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This site will sell you a new main.... it looks like it will be a little over $2K

I saved about $400 by going with Bacon Sails out of Annapolis MD for my new main. I buy from SBO when I can but Bacon has a good reputation.

Just last week, I got a new main delivered to my house and I took my new sail out for a spin last Friday and it was more than I could have hopped for. I love it.

Gary at Bacon gave me the option of doing my own measurements, or I could mail them my old sail and they would confirm which rig option I had for my boat. I chose the latter option. Cost to mail in the sail was about $25. Somehow he managed to mail them both back for only $18. He must have a better relationship with the post office than I do...:confused:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If you want to go local, Masthead Enterprises in St. Pete has a good reputation. I've not bought anything from them (except foul weather gear), but I have used them to evaluate my sails (which cost me nothing). I've also picked up sails for boat deliveries, and they are very thorough - multiple sizes of slides (when we forgot to measure the mast track), extra hardware options to cover eventualities when bending on a sail, etc. No extra charge for the extra gear, just a request to bring back everything that was sized wrong.

May 12, 2004
Thanks. My used main came from Masthead. Bought my genny new off the shelf from them, also. Never had a problem with them and will be one that I call. I'm more concerned with asking the right questions and having a good idea as what to look for in a sailmaker as this is my first time ever, in decades of sailing, that I am considering having a new main built. Just looking for some guidance from those who have gone before.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Ask around at your marina or yacht club about what questions to ask a sailmaker. I can't help you much there, except to suggest reading threads here about construction of sails. You may want to send a private message to Jackdaw, or other posters known for their specific knowledge of sails.

Aug 2, 2011
Newport 30 MKIII Madeira Beach, FL
Some lofts outsource the actual construction of their sails overseas to shops in Asia. Does that affect quality? If made in America is important to you for quality or any other reason, a good question to ask.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Nothing like the thrill of getting a new sail and knowing it is made for you!
  • I would only work with a sailmaker who kept a local loft. They have a stake in your community and want to have happy customers talking about them. Plus they will be eager to come inspect and measure your boat. Looks like UK, NS, and Doyle all keep local lofts, start with the them.
  • Purchase in the off-season - they want business and will give their best price when business is slow.
  • Be clear and honest about how you sail and use your boat and what kind of conditions you sail in. You don't want to be talked into exotic materials like laminated sails or light construction if you don't race. The trade off and in cost and longevity is big.
  • Know what is good about your current sail, and what could use improvement. Where are the wear and fatigue points? A new sail is a great opportunity to make upgrades. Things like heavier cloth, extra stitching and reinforcement are low cost upgrades.
  • Do you want to change your mainsail running rigging, reefing configuration, vang, add battens, mast track, cars etc. Put that into your RFP for discussion.
  • Insist on a face to face discussion, so that you can take 'the cut of their jib' so to speak. Is the rep familiar with your boat? Any thoughts on how to improve the sail plan? How long have they been doing this? Are they a sailor? Cruiser or Racer types? Where are their sails built? What materials? Why them and not XYZ? Local references?
  • Don't be afraid of foreign built sails if they use cloth, thread and fittings of known source (preferably US) and a tight construction QA specification from your local loft owner.
  • Expect that your new sail will be delivered and installed by the loft. That way any discrepancy will go back in the truck with them and back to the loft for remedy.
  • It is customary to pay 1/2 down on order and the remainder billed after installation (and satisfaction).

May 12, 2004
Thank you all for responses. Keep 'em coming. Will take all info I can get. What a great wealth of knowledge we have here. :)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Be careful choosing the lowest cost supplier. I did when choosing a new main and when I decided to replace the jib a year later I bought a new main also.
Do a search on member DrJudyB. She has posted many times on buying new sails with full disclosure that she owns Hyde Sails Direct. She answered many email questions for me before I chose to go with HSD.

I did find that in my area, using a local loft that came and measured my boat would add 33% to the cost of new sails from a mail order loft. I did my own measurements using their instructions I think they came out fine.
Probably the larger the boat and investment, it may be worth the extra to have a local loft.

May 12, 2004
Update: Did a bit of research on various lofts in this area. The used main I have on Fraulein now was built by Doyle for a Tartan 30. The T30 insignia is still on it. Has given me years of good service. It has full battens which I am inclined to stay with. Doyle rep coming to measure on Mon. Their loft is nearby in St. Pete and all work is done on site. A big plus for me. One question I have is whether to go and have a stack pack built. We have one on a boat in the company I captain for. I don't have a problem furling with full battens and with the charter boat, I have to get on deck and pull it down into the bag anyway as it is not heavy enough to drop on it's own. Given the added cost and maintenance, is it something I should consider or just keep furling the old fashion way? Thoughts? Thanks for all your comments. You've all been a big help.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I love my "stack pack", even though it has been replaced with a "lazy bag" (Neil Pryde). Two things I would improve in the Doyle Stack Pack, 1) make it roomier so that the sail can easily fit in, and 2) make the entire foot of the bag open so that water can easily drain out. Bonus- a nice wide zipper flap to protect the zip from that Florida sun. Given the option, make the front cover be attached to the bag, not a zip off. Fold it back into the bag when in use. Full battens make a stack pack work wonderfully. Your new sail will need to be folded in the first few times but will take on some fold memory and pretty much put itself away into the bag.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
My Stack Pack had a front panel (wrapped the front of the mast) which zipped off and was always going missing. Have them build it so that one size is stitched on and fold it into the bag - self stowing, and always ready to protect your sail luff from UV.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We had our main built locally. They came and did the measurements and were available for any alterations, should they have been necessary. I can't imagine the headaches of ordering an online sail to save a few bucks, only to spend several times the savings, never mind the time, to get it right, if it isn't the first time.
And was it really any more expensive (at around us$3,500) for a 53 footer's main, with a guaranty?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If I ever go back to a Lazy Bag, I'm going to come up with a way the close it around the main slides- something like a draw string, maybe?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I have a long continuous cord that attaches on both ends to the bag zipper, use it to pull the bag zipper to the boom end or back to the mast. The loop is long enough that I can use it to choke the lazy bag tight around the mast and give it a quick hitch.