Sail dimensions

julu44

Nov 26, 2012
Oday 25 Lesconil
Hello,
je have a O'Day 25, I live in France and I want change my Génoa (Head sail) but here the company don't know the O'Day 25.
To day, my Génoa is 150% (Luff 830 cm / Leech 845 cm / Foot 565 cm) but I want more little and I know thjere is 130 % and 100 %.
How and where can I have the dimensions of there ?
Do you have them ?
Sorry about my English
Best regards
Philippe

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
julu44... I encourage you to read C Ted's link carefully..... not only the sail inventory page, but especially the "measuring guide" page listed in the top left hand column.
http://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/web_store_TSW.cgi?page=measure.html&cart_id=1051348_32087

The sail size is expressed in percentage terms by comparing its area with that of the boat's foretriangle area...
sail area (1/2 LP x L) divided by fore triangle area(1/2 J x I). This can all be reduced by simply comparing the sail's LP to the boat's J. So... if you have a sail whose Luff Perpendicular (LP) is the same as your boat's J (foredeck length) then it will be a 100% jib. The percentage has nothing to do with how much the sail overlaps the mast.... it is purely an expression of comparing the sail's area with that of the fore triangle.

Note.... the luff dimension will play a role in area calculation, of course, but the other two... foot and leech .... describe the "shape" of the sail.

Aug 20, 2016
Oday 23 Havre de Grace, MD
Let's not forget Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine - the ODAY guru. (Rudy Nickerson<rnickerson@drmarine.com).

julu44

Nov 26, 2012
Oday 25 Lesconil
Hey
Thanks for all yours answers, I look them and come back if I have other questions.
Best regards
Philippe