Sail care and handling for trailerables

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The wrapping? I moved the jib tack/tie to the top its just some thin double braid.

That eye going around the thimble is 1x19 stainless. North Sails put that in. They didnt like the electrical tape wrapping the stay from top to bottom. Shpuld they have covered the cable?
Hi Bobby,

I was asking about the rope going around the SS thimble. Thanks for clarifying that it's 1 x 19 SS, which is the right stuff to use.

North did it right; they left the wire rope uncovered. At our loft, we do it the same way. We don't cover the wire rope when we're making a sail with a wire luff, Covering SS wire with a 100% non-permeable plastic cover promotes corrosion by blocking oxygen from reaching the surface of the wires.

Judy

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Does anyone hoist a sock over the furled jib? It seem like a smart idea for sails with no UV cover, and not a bad idea for trailed boats, including those that get parked under trees.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
@BobbyFunn - I enlarged the picture you posted. What is the cable in the luff made of? It doesn't look like wire rope; is it a dyneema line? But it's not a very high resolution picture so I could be totally wrong.

View attachment 148414
Heres a close up. Can see the core going the other way towards the bottom, through the "birdcage"

The other picture show permanant creases in the sail from leaving furled all thr time by previous owner.

Jackdaw will probably throw up in his mouth seeing those and my cassette tape telltale held on with electrical
20180405_200102.jpg
20180404_192219.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think Jackdaw will appreciate the cassette tape telltales. They are light, flexible, don't interrupt airflow. Maybe the electrical, but that doesn't look too intrusive to airflow or sail shape either. He'll love that you have them at all.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 16, 2017
I think Jackdaw will appreciate the cassette tape telltales. They are light, flexible, don't interrupt airflow. Maybe the electrical, but that doesn't look too intrusive to airflow or sail shape either. He'll love that you have them at all.

- Will (Dragonfly)
On a best practice scale of 1-10, 1 being do this and you're taken to the flight line and shot, 10, the world can stand on your shoulders and see a bright future, electrical tape on white sails is a 2. The adhesive leaves a mark. Its not a 1 because the mark tells you where to place the replacement telltale. i would not use electrical tape on a newer sail. Ive cut down the number used recently as well. I have 4 going from the luff to leach, intersecting the geometric center. With a fifth telltale extending out from the leach. I only have one jib sheet control so theres no need to try and get top middle and botyom telltales right. I usually cant see the top one anyways. That telltale by the tack is on its way out as well. I hardly look there. I watch that one section in the middle and make great gains. Gonna plane this season, even with granny panty sails.

Cassette tape telltales are the bomb. I used the red an green wool ones from wm but they are stuck half the time and really aren't that helpful in less than 10knot. I keep the wool telltales on the batten leaches. In strong winds i am more concered about making sure the airflow is directed in the right direction and not getting more lift.

Those wrinkles mock me and my quest to get the hunter170 on plane.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Bobby,
That is a seriously messed up wire rope eye with thimble. What the heck happened to it? It doesn't seem likely to me that the thimble got bent like that during the normal operation of the furler.

If you use too big a thimble, it can flop over and get caught on the fork of the furler drum. Is there any damage to the forks on the drum? Or maybe somebody ran over it in the parking lot?

Judy

Apr 16, 2017
Bobby,
That is a seriously messed up wire rope eye with thimble. What the heck happened to it? It doesn't seem likely to me that the thimble got bent like that during the normal operation of the furler.

If you use too big a thimble, it can flop over and get caught on the fork of the furler drum. Is there any damage to the forks on the drum? Or maybe somebody ran over it in the parking lot?

Judy
Not sure what happened either. I didnt notice that either until i took the picture. The furler has some knicks from the shackle as you say but not too bad. The pin looks new. I once tried to rake the mast similar to the hunter216 but that was just a test in the driveway. The tension was insane. I think the thimble pinch is from dynamic loading. In a good breeze the jib will pulsate like a parachute opening up. Might be from that. I use lever adjusters, but after the rake experiment got the tension to where all i am doing is just taking the slack out. Lower shrouds are just barely tensioned.

At least i know to watch it and look for difference. Hope SBO is still selling new jibs next year.