Registered users don't see ads

Sail Balancing on a 9.2A

Discussion in 'S2' started by unhinged schoolboy, Jun 4, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. unhinged schoolboy

unhinged schoolboy

Joined May 8, 2018
    39 posts, 12 likes
    S2 9.2a
    unhinged schoolboy US Lake texoma
    The wind does catch the bow...on the S2. I wonder what the limits are sailing to wind in a 30 foot boat with comparable sail area...as far as a point of diminishing returns, or no longer making headway. Could be a big deal.....for instance, according to earth.nullschool.net its blowing 30 knot winds from Cuba to Columbia right now...at what point of sail would you be limited to as opposed to say a 45' sailboat with much more sail area?

2. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,381 posts, 961 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    No.
    Design is what matters.

Will (Dragonfly)

3. unhinged schoolboy

unhinged schoolboy

Joined May 8, 2018
    39 posts, 12 likes
    S2 9.2a
    Interesting...ty

4. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    805 posts, 142 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    When the wind is that high I go main only. Makes life much easier. Just steer and let the boom flop over when you tack. In the event that I want to be able to point a little better I go jib only with the jib only partially rolled out. Again, pointing ain't great but a little better. What I will NOT do but that I see all the time, is pinch my way around the bay with the sails flagging all over the place. Bad form and bad for the sails.

5. BobM

BobM

Joined Jun 10, 2004
    3,242 posts, 10 likes
    S2 9.2A
    US Winthrop, MA
    It sure is fun to go out and play in 30 knot winds and the 9.2 is pretty forgiving. Personally, I prefer roller furling with a foam or rope luff to keep shape as you furl the sail. I have a 135 and still get decent shape rolled up to 80. As I solo a lot, when I replace my 135 I am tempted to get something a bit smaller, a 110 or even smaller and to try to set it up to self tend.

6. unhinged schoolboy

unhinged schoolboy

Joined May 8, 2018
    39 posts, 12 likes
    S2 9.2a
    She feels...bow strong in decent wind. I think your right...100 or even 80. At 80% you feel like you could rig it to self tac?

Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.