Sail alteration

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I'm planning to add a roller furling system to my C22 soon. It's not really in my budget to get both the furler and a new furling head sail. Since both of my head sails are in very good condition, I think converting my150 is the best option. I live in the midwest and there isn't exactly an abundance of lofts around here, so I'm stuck either doing it myself or shipping it off. I'm capable of doing the alteration myself, but I don't really have a place to do it and I don't know when I would find time. Catalina Direct can do the luff conversion for about $20 more than I can buy the kit from Sailrite for, so it seems like a no-brainer. My only concern is how long it would take since I'm only about 7 weeks from spring splash. So my question is has anyone here used Catalina Direct for sail services and if so, what was the turn around time like and were you happy with the work?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
First, make sure your 150s luff will fit on the furler.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Catalina Direct doesn't have a loft, probably the work would be done by a local Ullman loft being that they already have a relationship with them. As already mentioned, usually a furling headsail will be slightly smaller because of the space taken up by the furling drum, and top swivel, so there might be more to it than adding a UV shield and the luff tape. Personally, I don't have a genoa, just too much sail, work, and limits visibility, so I have two jibs. One is a traditional hank on jib with a simple down haul, and the other jib is fitted with a Harken furler. Just requires a luff wire, and no UV shield to weigh down the sail. A simple sock is used to protect the jib, as shown in the last photo. It's a convenient set-up, but my preference is my simple hanked on headsail.

Don
2016 GREAT LAKES CRUISE 02 001.JPG

Photo taken up in Michigan at Charlevoix Harbor during last summer's C-22 Great Lakes Cruise.
HARKEN FURLER 203.jpg

Photo shows the bottom business end with the furling drum and the Johnson Quick Lever used to tension the forestay
HARKEN FURLER 204.jpg

Jib sock installed to protect the sail from UV when not in use. Just zips up as it's hoisted by the jib halyard.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I have a 150 genoa and a regular probably 90 jib, both hank on , makes sail changes a lot easier as a single hander
Sail mar 6 2016 (1).jpg
. Visibility issue solved by a 12 inch pendant with snaps to raise sail just enough to see under, no effect on performance so far. pix in action posted below. BTW before someone jumps in the boom vang was re rigged later to have the control block at the boom not the base of the mast.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Jackdaw, the luff conversion does involve shortening the luff as well as adding #6 tape.

CaptDon, I had a similar setup on a daysailer/racer that I had for many years and it worked very well. Unfortunately, neither of the headsails on my C22 have a wire luff. The main reason I want to go with a foil type furler is to have the ability to reef as well as furl. I do plan on using a zippered sock like that instead of adding weight to the sail.

Jacktar, I do the same thing with my 110. I like the versatility of hank-on's, but my first mate thinks it takes too long to dig out a headsail, rig it up and then put it away afterwards. It will also make singlehanding much more convenient.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This has got me thinking. I have a 110 I'd like to make a 75 out of. It's the only size headsail I'm missing, and can never seem to find one on the used market.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
This has got me thinking. I have a 110 I'd like to make a 75 out of. It's the only size headsail I'm missing, and can never seem to find one on the used market.
Gene, when the wind picks up to the point you would want to put up a 75 have you tried dousing the main and just sailing with the 110? The boat points very well, and it's amazing how much wind she'll take, and healing reduced to next to nothing.

Don

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Gene, when the wind picks up to the point you would want to put up a 75 have you tried dousing the main and just sailing with the 110? The boat points very well, and it's amazing how much wind she'll take, and healing reduced to next to nothing.

Don
Yes, agreed, but I'd rather sail under a double reefed main and a 75 jib, than under a 110 jib only. More control during the puffs, and she heaves to better.