S2 Owners UNITE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Steering maintenance

I purchased an S2 8.5 in November of 2010 for restoration project. I never heard of them before but everyone I talk to says they are good sailboats. I am sanding all the teak inside for fresh varnishing in the spring. I am also having to replace the pulley plate under the pedestal.
If you have to do a lot with the steering I suggest you replace the cables as everyone always uses them way longer than Edson recommends. They should be replaced about every ten years per Edson, but most never have been replaced...including mine! But if you are halfway there anyway, consider it, but note that new cables will stretch and be a hassle short term.

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
Greetings!

I bought a 1979 9.2A from the original owner in 2007. We sail Auslese on Lake Huron. We have sailed out of Bay City Mi and Rogers City Mi. We have been to the North Channel once and are dying to get back there.

Attachments

Hejira

May 18, 2010
S2 9.2A Woods Hole, MA
1980 S2 9.2A. Volvo MD2020. Just sailed from Cape Cod MA to Dominican Republic. Loving it and living it. Come down and join me. These boats sail fast and reliably. They are awesome.

Just hung out on an 30'Bristol. It was dope. More heavy duty and stronger boat.

Slower though. Heh.

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
mandm said:
Looking for other S2 owners - who's gonna raise their hands?
We are still here. Our 11.0A is our third S2. We sailed this one down to Dominican Republic in 2005 and are now back in Holland and freshwater in Lake MI. Amazing boat, we have completely refurbished everything but the engine! John and Gayle

Aug 25, 2010
S-2 11.0A St. Petersburg
I have a 1982 11.0A located in the St Pete,Fl area. Great solid boats and Im looking forward to an extended sail up the east coast this coming summer. I would love to hear form other 11.0 owners and discuss upgrades and modifications they have completed. I have some pictures while the work was in progress.

Oct 19, 2010
S2 8.5 Chicago
I just purchased a 1981 S2 8.5 with tiller and 15hp diesel and will mostly daysail her here in Chicago. Prior to this boat, I owned two different J24s although I am not a racer, daysailer only, so far. :dance:

Tim

lukeb

Mar 7, 2010
s2 8.ob Mikes Marina Rockport, IN
Purchased a 1979 S2 8 ob March of 2010. Had a great year sailing on the Ohio River and can't wait to get back in the water this year.

Cobalt

Aug 30, 2009
S2 1981 8.5M Eglin AFB
I have a 1981 S2 8.5M. Have it wet slipped at Eglin AFB. Pulling it out of the water 7 March for a bottom job and having it de-masted for service and painting. She's old but she is fast :)

Have lots of upgrades to do, would love to talk to another S2 owner with the same type and year about upgrades. Have lots of manual specs on engine and other stuff. Email if you need any information. Thinking about TackTick instrumentation package but would also would like to upgrade all systems to N2k (nmea 2000) interface. But don't really know where to begin.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have a '79 11.0A that I recently purchased. This is my third S2. The first being a 9.2C and the second being an 11.0A in the late eighties. I met my wife then and we traded to a Gulfstar 44 and lived on it for 10 yrs. Being on land for the last 10 yrs, we often thought of the 11.0A and how we liked it for cruising. The one we just bought sorta landed in our laps and we weren't even looking!!!! We moor in Anacortes WA and live nearby and enjoy cruising the PNW/Canadian waters and have plans into Alaska after retirement.

Cobalt

Aug 30, 2009
S2 1981 8.5M Eglin AFB
I have a '79 11.0A that I recently purchased. This is my third S2. The first being a 9.2C and the second being an 11.0A in the late eighties. I met my wife then and we traded to a Gulfstar 44 and lived on it for 10 yrs. Being on land for the last 10 yrs, we often thought of the 11.0A and how we liked it for cruising. The one we just bought sorta landed in our laps and we weren't even looking!!!! We moor in Anacortes WA and live nearby and enjoy cruising the PNW/Canadian waters and have plans into Alaska after retirement.
Nice to hear from you Mark, the Puget Sound is where I learned to sail when I lived in Mt. Vernon. Good times, and Good eats.

Mar 16, 2010
S2 9.2A Punta Gorda, FL
Hand Up and Sail Up!! I have a 1978 S2 9.2A in Punta Gorda FL. as well as racing on a 7.9 in the spring series (we don't call it winter here.

Feb 23, 2011
S2 7.3 Rocky Fork Lake
Just bought an 84' 7.3 shoal draft. Working on redoing the interior. Came with a saildrive and an O/B. Probably will pull out the saildrive if anyone is interested. It's supposed to work?

Gerry

Sep 1, 2010
S2 36 center cockpit Kingston
We bought an '85, centre cockpit, 36 S2 and it landed here in Canada in Sept. 2010, a week before haulout so we have yet to sail her. Are anxiously awaiting spring so we can get the elbow grease work done on her and get on the water. She is lovely and we have been told over and over what a great choice we made. We will be sailing in the 1000 Islands area in eastern Lake Ontario for now..eventually want to head south. We brought her up from Rock Hall, MD.

Apr 27, 2009
2 9.2a SAINT IGNACE, MI
We Have Have A 9.3a For 4 Years And Keep It Is St Ignace Mi. We Sail Norther Lake Michigan And Got To The North Channel Last Year. If You Get To St Ignace Stop And Say Hi

Mar 23, 2011
S2 9.2a Bradenton
1980 S2 9.2a here in Tampa Bay area, (soon to be Bradenton/twindolphinmarina.com)

just bought her and never sailed before in my life... (would love some help on getting her moved to the new location?) any takers? I got the beer?

other then that, she looks like a great boat... tons of stuff wrong with her, and not sure the PO was totally upfront with me, but oh well.. im in it for the long haul... :_)

Nov 8, 2004
Cape Dory 30 Ketch Kemah, Texas
Steering

I would recommend highly checking out the steering cables and assembly before moving. When I was moving my S2 to my new slip the whole steering assembly came apart and I lost all control. Even though I was being towed it was hard to control. Fortunately I had an emergency tiller onboard. All the beer in the world can't help with that. Also check your registration stickers. If I was in Tampa I would be glad to help but I am in Texas.

1980 S2 9.2a here in Tampa Bay area, (soon to be Bradenton/twindolphinmarina.com)

just bought her and never sailed before in my life... (would love some help on getting her moved to the new location?) any takers? I got the beer?

other then that, she looks like a great boat... tons of stuff wrong with her, and not sure the PO was totally upfront with me, but oh well.. im in it for the long haul... :_)

Apr 6, 2009
S2 9.2C Ft Myers Florida
We have a 1981 S2 9.2C and sailing in the Gulf of Mexico out of Ft Myers Beach Florida. are there any owners within this area?

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
Just bought an 84' 7.3 shoal draft. Working on redoing the interior. Came with a saildrive and an O/B. Probably will pull out the saildrive if anyone is interested. It's supposed to work?

Gerry
I might be interested in the saildrive. Where are you located?

Status
Not open for further replies.