S2 9.2A cracked window film solution?

Michal

Jun 25, 2014
Tiara S2 9.2A Woodbridge, VA
Windows on my S2 9.2A are cracked in several places (photo attached.) After reading other posts I got to the conclusion that I do not have labor skills to follow the proper window replacement procedure. I also do not know anyone who could do it for me.

I have an idea of just covering the windows from outside with a tint kind of self adhesive dark (black) film. I was thinking about buying a pice of that film, cutting out the shape of each window and attaching it to the windows covering all the cracks.
I understand that the amount of light getting to the cabin would be limited.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of film could I use for this reason?

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Windows on my S2 9.2A are cracked in several places (photo attached.) After reading other posts I got to the conclusion that I do not have labor skills to follow the proper window replacement procedure. I also do not know anyone who could do it for me.

I have an idea of just covering the windows from outside with a tint kind of self adhesive dark (black) film. I was thinking about buying a pice of that film, cutting out the shape of each window and attaching it to the windows covering all the cracks.
I understand that the amount of light getting to the cabin would be limited.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of film could I use for this reason?
that is not a good thing the crack that is ....but film will not cut it..... you could cut new lexan glass and sand the edges of what is there now and glue it on top of the old but if you spend that much money on the lexan you may as well take out the old and put in the new ...there are plastic shops the specialize in this and that would be your best bet...i have the patters for the windows glass but you can get the plastic company to do it .......if you need help pm me and i will try to help all i can......

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I have black duct tape over the cracks on mine that went completely through. ?

Sep 6, 2011
I would replace the lexan. The leaks or potential leaks aren't worth the headache. Tape may be a short term solution but I'd just get it over with if it were me.

SC

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I wonder if anyone has tried heating and bending the forward ports to see if it would prevent cracking.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you dont need to if you use lexan with the uv coating...they only curve about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch ...but make sure you sand all the edges very well to relieve and mill marks from cutting as they will be the start of a crack you really need if you are doing it your self to get a magnifying glass and do a look over all the prepared edges

Jan 27, 2014
S2 9.2C Kemah
I have a number of cracks in my windows. I remember a club member commenting that after he had replaced and re-seated all his windows on a Catalina 25, they all continued to leak. He took clear silicone caulk and went around the edges on the outside of the windows - not pretty, but no more leaks. I did the same thing with mine, just took silicone caulk and filled in the cracks - end result - no leaks and we have had a number of down pours here in the Houston area.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I have a number of cracks in my windows. I remember a club member commenting that after he had replaced and re-seated all his windows on a Catalina 25, they all continued to leak. He took clear silicone caulk and went around the edges on the outside of the windows - not pretty, but no more leaks. I did the same thing with mine, just took silicone caulk and filled in the cracks - end result - no leaks and we have had a number of down pours here in the Houston area.

well that is one way to create a short term fix for a long term problem but you will have to replace the windows eventually

Jan 27, 2014
S2 9.2C Kemah
well that is one way to create a short term fix for a long term problem but you will have to replace the windows eventually
True, but time and $$$$ right now dictate putting those scarce resources to better use - eg finding and fixing the water leak I have in the head on a port tack - found, I think, now have to figure out the fix - I think I have a Sealand head with a fresh water flush. When I have the fresh water valve open and the pump on, I will get water on the floor of the head - actually the last time out I saw the water gushing from the valve at the top of the head. With the water off - no leak. At least it is fresh water and from inside the boat. Still, I always seem to have at least one crew with a weak bladder, so .......

The A/C needs to be looked at - and here in Houston - that is a top priority. Steering seems to have a little too much play in it, need to get a Cunningham installed, need to refurbish the head sail, want to install lazy jacks ( have gone with a lose footed sail - really helps with the shape), need to do at least a quick haul late this year, early next. A new radio is a must - I don't get much reception from hand helds. New life lines in a few years. All said, though the boat is in pretty good shape, sails well, no issues with the engine and plenty of to do's to keep me out of the house once retired.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i had some pics of one that was there but can't find them now it was across the road from T Bone Tom's white with black canvas

Jan 27, 2014
S2 9.2C Kemah
i had some pics of one that was there but can't find them now it was across the road from T Bone Tom's white with black canvas
That was probably in the Kemah Marina or Portofino Marina. Mine has blue canvas and came from further west off of Clear Lake. Sloop Jon B.