S2 9.2a Bimini Solutions?

Jun 11, 2016
S2 9.2A Lake Champlain
Hey fellow S2 owners.....I have a 1980 9.2a with standard main sheet rigging that comes down off the aft end of the boom to a transom mounted traveler. While beneficial for singlehanding, finding a Bimini solution hasn't been easy. I figure I have two options:

1 - rig the traveler and main sheet atop the companionway copper just rear of the mast step. I'm not sure if I have enough length between the mast and the dodger though, and I haven't seen many 30' boats with quite the setup I envision needing.

2 - have a custom Bimini made that passes below the boom but stops short of the main sheet. My issue with this approach is that it will likely be the same cost as a full bim but will likely only extend my coverage out another three or four feet form the dodger. That's great for my first mate and crew but doesn't do me any good baking in the sun at the helm.

I looked around this and other forums and couldn't find anything specific to the 9.2a. Any advice or otherwise would be most appreciated. Happy sailing!

-ml

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You will lose a lot of mechanical advantage if you move things fwd. My PO did this and i wanted to move it back to the bridge deck..The admiral intervened cuz a dodger would be difficult....

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Call the canvas folks on this site. We have the same issue, and they came up with a fine solution (17 years ago - still going strong) at a very reasonable price.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I think a nice approach would be to move the traveler to the top of a structure aft, like the wing some boats have. But it would be darned expensive as it would have to be strong and well attached. Like on the Hunter 410.